Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver's Side Rear-view Mirror Vibration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my 2021 MS Plaid serviced for this driver side rear view mirror shake yesterday. the technician said that they JUST released a new bulletin capturing a new assembly number to mitigate the vibration. I'm happy to report that mine is solid as solid gets now!
Can you share any of the details? Either the service bulletin or the invoice with the part numbers?

Can you share any of the details? Either the service bulletin or the invoice with the part numbers?
See attached:
1D79514F-EA9C-42F9-A0F5-5872769F42B8.jpeg

That looks like the old part number.
I got mine replaced a few weeks ago with a “P2” version and a different part:

View attachment 839624
Interesting! The technician I spoke with actually said that there were 2 versions that had recently come out. He actually said if it’s the old version, he won’t do the work and have the service advisor order the correct assembly. Wonder if they didn’t update my paperwork or if I got an older assembly? Either way, I’m happy the issue is fixed. It was so annoying and made the car sound like a rattletrap on the outside whenever I had music loud. Embarrassing for a vehicle of this price.

Seems like the normal view.

Awesome. I had mentioned this at multiple service visits and they replaced it with the weird one. It was like looking through someone else's glasses that aren't yours, it sucked. So the tech literally pulled one off a car on the lot at my next visit to go back to the old view. Trouble is now that one is even more wobbly than the one that came with my car... really want a fix for that I'm going to finally bring it up again with service! Thanks for the post.

Awesome. I had mentioned this at multiple service visits and they replaced it with the weird one. It was like looking through someone else's glasses that aren't yours, it sucked. So the tech literally pulled one off a car on the lot at my next visit to go back to the old view. Trouble is now that one is even more wobbly than the one that came with my car... really want a fix for that I'm going to finally bring it up again with service! Thanks for the post.
Hopefully they’re able to work it out for you! I was really nervous once I found this thread prior to going that I’d be screwed too. Currently supercharging and snapped a photo for reference:

Attachments

• E31037B1-6EF9-4AE9-B9A2-CC9955AEAC7B.jpeg
    E31037B1-6EF9-4AE9-B9A2-CC9955AEAC7B.jpeg
    275.8 KB · Views: 99
Reactions: nilesborg
I actually prefer the newer style mirror, it gives you more visibility further out and covers most of normal blind spots.

I get that. Saw that as a benefit too, but my eyes could not adjust (it was tripping me out; felt like looking through someone else's prescription glasses which actually caused more harm than good as my eyes had to adjust each time I checked it) so I'm happy I was able to get the old style back. Now if only it wasn't jiggly...

Right. My 2022 (June build) has a much less vibrate-y driver’s side mirror. Not completely gone, mind, but 90% gone compared to my 2021.
I recommend not letting Tesla mess with it. With service these days it’s “fix one thing, break two others”.

Since they replaced my mirror, I’ve been hearing a loud rattling noise while standing outside the car every time I close the driver door with the window open. (It took a while for me to notice this as I usually leave the windows up when leaving the car, even when it’s in my garage).

Turns out the window is loose inside the door when the window is open, which took some convincing on my part that this was indeed the problem (they were trying to disassemble the mirror again..)
After picking up the car from service for the Nth time specific to the mirror shaking saga, not only the window still rattled inside the door, but the door trim was left completely loose and rattling itself.. like they didn’t bother to properly put it back together after “fixing” the loose window brackets.
It looked like the service techs are mostly just kids who barely know how to handle tools, let alone properly diagnose an issue and solve it. Don’t get me started on my latest suspension woes..

I’m so done with crappy service from Tesla. Elon needs to hire a COO or move out of the way completely.

Last edited:
I recommend not letting Tesla mess with it. With service these days it’s “fix one thing, break two others”.

Since they replaced my mirror, I’ve been hearing a loud rattling noise while standing outside the car every time I close the driver door with the window open. (It took a while for me to notice this as I usually leave the windows up when leaving the car, even when it’s in my garage).

Turns out the window is loose inside the door when the window is open, which took some convincing on my part that this was indeed the problem (they were trying to disassemble the mirror again..)
After picking up the car from service for the Nth time specific to the mirror shaking saga, not only the window still rattled inside the door, but the door trim was left completely loose and rattling itself.. like they didn’t bother to properly put it back together after “fixing” the loose window brackets.
It looked like the service techs are mostly just kids who barely know how to handle tools, let alone properly diagnose an issue and solve it. Don’t get me started on my latest suspension woes..

I’m so done with crappy service from Tesla. Elon needs to hire a COO or move out of the way completely.
Right. I’m fully aware of how this goes down. I had my 2021 S Plaid in for a “simple” safety restraint error, and they destroyed my front motor inverter and had the car over a month (yeah, really). One of many reasons I’m now in a 2022. If I don’t absolutely have to bring my car in, it’s not going in.

The really sad part is we’re talking about a flagship car here. Just sad.

I've never noticed a vibration in my 2022 S (Nov-21 build), so at some point, they likely fixed it. Seems all the owners with vibration have earlier built cars. My side view does not have the wide-angle mirror, so looks like that came in after mine.