Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving across the USA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just completed a drive from Scottsdale to Boston in my S 100 D. A fairly circutious route, back roads, Monument Valley, Moab, Wash DC, etc. 3500 miles, 296 wh/m over the entire trip.
A great experience. No problems finding electrons. Even in remote Utah, such as Blanding. Cool resort (Sorrel River) in Moab with a destination charger. Charging rates vary, from 40 kWh to over a 100. It is a huge advantage having a S100 as opposed to 85 or 90 because charging to 80% get's me at least 240 miles, and charging to that low percentage is fast.

Car track really well at 80mph or so. Big difference in kw/m based on head or tail winds. With no winds, level, I burned about 330 kw/m. Not bad.

The software does a good job of estimation charge percentage at end of trip. Seems to start out conservative, and then builds as you move along. For example at the start of a leg it might have predicted 15% charge left at destination, but as I move down the road it climbs to 22% or so.

Funny thing: climbing to Poncha Springs CO (great new supercharger there) it said I would have 27% when I arrived. But as I climbed the Rockies from the west it had gotten down to 22%. I figured the program was messing up. BUT, as I descended from 11,000 feet to 7,000 the charge increased to 27%!! They do a good job of factoring elevation change into their energy predicting algorithm.

Only complains: wind noise higher than it should be a freeway speeds, thru the window seals and sunroof. Also, when I rains water gets up into the space between the door and the frame. You never see this with normal cars.

All in all Tesal is great with the computer side of things, but as a manufacture of cars they need to improve. Still, I love my car!!!

Sounds like a really cool trip, if you don’t mind me asking, how many miles did you end up traveling total? Was this a one way trip or did you have to trek back to Scottsdale? I always find the way out to be really entertaining, and then the return trip is always a bit more of a slog for me.

No but I did get a crack in the windshield from a rock. Second time this has happened. I wonder if the low profile makes S more susceptible to windshield strikes and cracks.
Xpel for front bumper and mirrors is a must before any trip like this. I live in CA and there is so much construction! Rocks hit Nicki all the time, at least 5 noticeable pits in the windshield and three small dents in the hood and roof in her first year. I agree it's the car height.

Reactions: outdoors
Is their anything we can do to protect the windshield? Seems almost daily I'm getting pits with the Illinois construction.

There are aftermarket windshield coatings u can do to strengthen ur windshield but I hear that messes with the wipers and they have to be reapplied every year or so. honestly more expensive then just paying your deductible to replace a windshield.

Sounds like a really cool trip, if you don’t mind me asking, how many miles did you end up traveling total? Was this a one way trip or did you have to trek back to Scottsdale? I always find the way out to be really entertaining, and then the return trip is always a bit more of a slog for me.
3500 miles all together. One way -- I will probably ship it back to Scottsdale in December. Brand new toy -- didn't want to leave my S in Arizona for the summer.

There are aftermarket windshield coatings u can do to strengthen ur windshield but I hear that messes with the wipers and they have to be reapplied every year or so. honestly more expensive then just paying your deductible to replace a windshield.
I've already replaced mine once, after 3 months. Stupid chip right in my line of vision. Now there's a chip on the passenger side, I am going to leave it for a while before I replace the windshield again....