Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving in High Water?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

We are picking up our Model X Friday (hooray!) and I'm wondering about driving it in high water. (Yesterday our kids were stuck in a stalled school bus in a flash flood and when they got rescued, we had to drive through flooded streets to get them, so I started wondering what would happen if I'd had the Model X.)

In general can you drive the car through a foot or two of water (same as what you'd do with other SUVs)?

Hopefully there won't be a need any time soon, but I thought I'd better be prepared!

Thanks!

Hi all,

We are picking up our Model X Friday (hooray!) and I'm wondering about driving it in high water. (Yesterday our kids were stuck in a stalled school bus in a flash flood and when they got rescued, we had to drive through flooded streets to get them, so I started wondering what would happen if I'd had the Model X.)

In general can you drive the car through a foot or two of water (same as what you'd do with other SUVs)?

Hopefully there won't be a need any time soon, but I thought I'd better be prepared!

Thanks!

Pop this into Google:
site:teslamotorsclub.com driving though water

Many data points, also a video out there of someone doing it with commentary by Elon.
Elon Musk on Twitter

Note: the usual issue with cars is that once the water gets to the rocker panels, bouancy takes over, and you start losing traction.

• Informative
Reactions: Bogobec
So far, I've found this is better than some of the other SUVs - at least crossovers. We don't have an exhaust to worry about. These things also weigh a good amount so it's a little more resistant to buoyancy.

With that said; if the school bus was stuck in high waters. Either from stalling out, seizing up, floating, etc. Chances are, there isn't an SUV that would be able to go through the same waters to rescue it.

Hi all,

Thanks!

Just keep in mind, there may be all kinds of things you can't see lurking under the water to run over...

Or it could be that the high water caused a short / completed the circuit in the tow harness to think it was plugged into one.

That was my first thought the last time I saw a post like this, but the manual calls out this scenario:
Note: In situations where Model X detects a heavy load, it assumes that a trailer is connected and automatically engages Trailer Mode. A message displays on the instrument panel informing you that Trailer Mode has been engaged. When Trailer Mode is entered automatically due to detection of a heavy load, you can change the Trailer Mode setting only by stopping Model X and engaging Park or engaging Neutral and manually applying the parking brake using the touchscreen (Controls > Driving > E-Brake & Power Off >Parking Brake).

Always remember, 6 inches of water is enough to wash the car away. At the point that any portion of the car or battery goes underwater, the car is effectively going to get even lighter, making it a lot easier to wash away. Even if the water looks stagnant, there can be a current and do you really want to lose your car, let alone your life?

• Disagree
Reactions: spectrum
Thank you for all the feedback! I would definitely err on the side of caution -- we weren't trying to get to the bus but to the kids after they were rescued (by boat, believe it or not)! I rode with my neighbor in his SUV to get them (because I didn't want to take our Prius). I was just trying to figure out if I'd be okay in the Tesla SUV in a similar situation, driving on roads that had some water on them (but weren't in any danger of being washed away).