Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving my ICE vehicle while Model 3 RWD is on limited duty. Some simple observations…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And why would you not believe it? Maybe not for you, but mine does indeed work perfectly and I truly believe it makes hwy driving much safer.

Or much LESS safe. Because you trust it to do certain things, and it fails catastrophically at highway speeds, without a reason or a warning. The argument that you should be always vigilantly supervising it is 100% BS - if it works, it will lull you into a false sense of security.

"Feelings" and "beliefs" are purely subjective and worthless for the purpose of rational discourse.
What matters is data that we can both review, and draw common conclusions on whether or not AP is safer, or less safe, then an alternative
Who has the data? Tesla.
Has Tesla publicly release it to anyone to audit? Hack NO!

If data supported Tesla's self-serving declarations, they would have released it to the public.
In the 10+ year absence of public disclosure, I have no choice to conclude that the data doesn't support their boasting.

Now FSD, is another story. It was neat, but I didn't like it, don't really trust it. I shut it off halfway through my free trial. Autopilot is all I need.

It may be all you need, but is it "good enough"?
Until I see the data (audited by independent authority, not self-serving Tesla), I say "no".
And I will not allow my kids to drive our Teslas with AP enabled or engaged. No way, no how. That sh*t is more likely to kill then to save them.

a

Or much LESS safe. Because you trust it to do certain things, and it fails catastrophically at highway speeds, without a reason or a warning. The argument that you should be always vigilantly supervising it is 100% BS - if it works, it will lull you into a false sense of security.

"Feelings" and "beliefs" are purely subjective and worthless for the purpose of rational discourse.
What matters is data that we can both review, and draw common conclusions on whether or not AP is safer, or less safe, then an alternative
Who has the data? Tesla.
Has Tesla publicly release it to anyone to audit? Hack NO!

If data supported Tesla's self-serving declarations, they would have released it to the public.
In the 10+ year absence of public disclosure, I have no choice to conclude that the data doesn't support their boasting.

It may be all you need, but is it "good enough"?
Until I see the data (audited by independent authority, not self-serving Tesla), I say "no".
And I will not allow my kids to drive our Teslas with AP enabled or engaged. No way, no how. That sh*t is more likely to kill then to save them.

a
I can see why you would be concerned about your kids using Autopilot. I would somewhat feel the same way. We can't control or predict how they would use it. But I'm very confident about it when I'm in the driver's seat.

Not true when it comes to alignments. To adjust stuff on Teslas means removing trim and putting it back.

You think that is different in any other car?
Trim pieces and clips vary, but suspension geometry is suspension geometry!

Front camber is trial and error shifting the mount across on the body! Not at all traditional.

You've just described camber adjustment on most OEM cars. Which is to say it's minimally adjustable (via oversized mounting holes, or "crash bolts"), unless you install aftermarket parts.
Same goes for caster.
Toe is adjustable via threaded inner tie rods, and is the only variable that is sufficiently adjustable front and rear.

Just like on 99% of all other cars and trucks.

This isn't rocket science, folks.
KISS, and don't get taken by those who claim you should pay "extra" for aligning or mounting tires on a Tesla due to its EV "complexity" !

a

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: SalisburySam
There is NOTHING different about electric car wheels and tires install, balancing, and care vs. traditional cars.
Or suspension, or body panels, or paint.
Any shops that claims to SPECIALIZE in EVs is subtly proclaiming that they will surcharge you for owning one.

YMMV,
a
Tesla’s are different. For one thing the torque specs on the wheel bolts are very much higher than any other production model car and many shops might not be up to date or trained on those specs. Additionally, every year, as part of the annual recommended service, because the brake calipers receive so little use, there is a bolt on the caliper assembly that must be removed and lubricated according to Tesla specs. If this is not done those calipers could seize just when one might need them versus regenerative braking alone. These are just two examples of the types of service unique to Tesla’s that Tesla service centers and Tesla service technicians would be more equipped to handle than the normal garage which most generally services ICE vehicles.

Reactions: dcfas
Tesla’s are different. For one thing the torque specs on the wheel bolts are very much higher than any other production model car and many shops might not be up to date or trained on those specs.
There are plenty of production cars with higher torque specs than a Model 3.

Additionally, every year, as part of the annual recommended service, because the brake calipers receive so little use, there is a bolt on the caliper assembly that must be removed and lubricated according to Tesla specs.
Regular slide pin lubrication is a routine maintenance procedure on the vast majority of vehicle makes and models. Certainly not limited to Teslas.