Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving on the 'wrong' side of the road.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm wondering how Autopilot handles the transition from driving on the right to driving on the left (and vice-vrsa) when you go to a country that drives on the other side of the road from the side the car was made for.

Any experiences to share?

As of now, autopilot doesn't know the difference. It'll drive on whatever side you tell it.
Well, mostly. However, on a multi-lane highway, where overtaking on the inside is not allowed (here in Europe), Autopilot will refuse to move forward if it means performing an illegal manoeuvre so it isn't quite as driving-side agnostic as you suggest. Also, when using 'Navigate on Autopilot', would it miss an exit because it thinks it's in the wrong lane?

I'm just curious if anyone knows what happens in these cases (and in others that I haven't thought of...)

Well, mostly. However, on a multi-lane highway, where overtaking on the inside is not allowed (here in Europe), Autopilot will refuse to move forward if it means performing an illegal manoeuvre so it isn't quite as driving-side agnostic as you suggest. Also, when using 'Navigate on Autopilot', would it miss an exit because it thinks it's in the wrong lane?

I'm just curious if anyone knows what happens in these cases (and in others that I haven't thought of...)

Ah, I was just responding to autopilot. You can definitely turn on AP even if you're on the wrong side of the road haha. As far as navigation I have no idea... but I didn't know that in Europe it won't pass on the right. Sure doesn't care what side it passes on in the US, but at least in my state, it's not strictly illegal to pass on the right.