Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving the Maritimes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am thinking of a road trip from Rhode Island to Nova Scotia in my P3D- in late august/early September. Very preliminary planning of possible routes has me thinking maybe stopping in St. John on the way for a night or so, taking the ferry across to Digby, then exploring on the way to Halifax. A couple/few days there before making my way to PEI. I plan on staying in hotels with charging and of course would make use of the supercharger - but would a chademo purchase be a good idea? This will be my first road trip where I might have to use non Tesla (destination or supercharger) charging. I see most Flo sites also have a J1772 but that's obviously much slower, but with my range I'm thinking I'd be fine as long as I charged overnight and made use of J1772s during sightseeing stops if feasible?

Not only would I have to find dog friendly places to stay but also a destination charger or near a charger that I can walk to...pretty much impossible!

Exactly why we have a trailer. Don't have to worry about dog friendly hotels. And every campground is a charging spot. Have you considered taking the trip with a trailer (you could start with a rental).

Right now we're making our way across Newfound. Very little charging opportunities outside campgrounds (a few L2's scattered about).

We did see an M3 in Broad Cove campground (tent camping). He was able to make it from Aulac without any charging stops. Of course if you can get a Chademo adapter it would be much easier.

Tin Poodle: Oh the places you'll charge

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
Exactly why we have a trailer. Don't have to worry about dog friendly hotels. And every campground is a charging spot. Have you considered taking the trip with a trailer (you could start with a rental).

Right now we're making our way across Newfound. Very little charging opportunities outside campgrounds (a few L2's scattered about).

We did see an M3 in Broad Cove campground (tent camping). He was able to make it from Aulac without any charging stops. Of course if you can get a Chademo adapter it would be much easier.

Tin Poodle: Oh the places you'll charge

We did consider camping but it's not for us.
We ended up renting a car near Aulac and drove around Cape Breton in that. Picked a decent dog friendly motel in what we thought would be a central location and did a bunch of day trips. The location ended up being not the greatest but it worked.
Glad we did it that way. Nova Scotia sucked for charging options that were near dog friendly hotels that weren't dirty dives.

PEI was better for charging, some options with suncountry 69 amps but no DC Chargers.
We had chademo adapter and used it once in New Brunswick for a day trip and once in Quebec for the fyord national park. The rest was done on Supercharging and destination chargers.

Reactions: idoco
If you have a Chademo adapter anywhere in NB or NS is easily doable. But I prefer always to fully charge at a hotel overnight. Besides, I make it a point to mention it to the desk that I stopped there specifically because of the charger. Incentivizes them to keep the chargers working or add more, if they know that they are what brings business.

Reactions: Bimbels
A couple/few days there before making my way to PEI. I plan on staying in hotels with charging and of course would make use of the supercharger - but would a chademo purchase be a good idea? This will be my first road trip where I might have to use non Tesla (destination or supercharger) charging. I see most Flo sites also have a J1772 but that's obviously much slower, but with my range I'm thinking I'd be fine as long as I charged overnight and made use of J1772s during sightseeing stops if feasible?

Unless you plan on going there often, you may wish to see if you can rent or borrow a CHAdeMO adapter instead of purchasing one. It is feasible to get by with hotels that offer J1772 as long as you plan carefully.

Reactions: Bimbels