Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving to Alaska....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the beginning stages of planning an epic Alaska EV road trip. What I wanted to do is take my time and drive the entire way, but two things:

1) Wow, Alaska is farther from Washington State than I thought. I thought 3 weeks, might be enough, but I think 1 month would be best.
2) No EV, charging, eh?
3) Even if I drove up to Juneau or something.... I'm not seeing any clear roads from Juneau to Anchorage

I'm sure a ferry from Washington to Anchorage-ish Alaska would be fine, too. Has anyone else made that drive in any vehicle? What are your thoughts? Thanks.

3) Even if I drove up to Juneau or something.... I'm not seeing any clear roads from Juneau to Anchorage
You need to do some homework. Some well known Trivia!

Juneau is unique among the 49 U.S. capitals on mainland North America in that there are no roads connecting the city to the rest of the state or North America.

Has anyone else made that drive in any vehicle? What are your thoughts? Thanks.
Someone on this forum did this in a MX and posted extensively about the trip. IIRC, with three four kids. Lots of pictures too, good thread.

Here it is..

Last edited:
Juneau is probably out. ferry to Haines and drive north, turn left at the junction to go to anchorage. I'd rather drive the whole way, but charging
stations????
rich
I'm in the beginning stages of planning an epic Alaska EV road trip. What I wanted to do is take my time and drive the entire way, but two things:

1) Wow, Alaska is farther from Washington State than I thought. I thought 3 weeks, might be enough, but I think 1 month would be best.
2) No EV, charging, eh?

I'm sure a ferry from Washington to Anchorage-ish Alaska would be fine, too. Has anyone else made that drive in any vehicle? What are your thoughts? Thanks.

Some airline pilot with a 2013 S made the trip close on to 10 years ago up the Alcan highway. He said welding shops were his friends. He called ahead to each of them and bought all the necessary adapters. This would be before I bought my model S, maybe 8 years ago?

He enjoyed the trip but I do remember that he commented that there was four to five hours of charging pretty much every time he had to charge. With an 85 KWh battery, which was really an 80, with 78 available, it took him quite a while! But he raved about the trip. I recall that he had the car brought back, or maybe rode a ferry back to Seattle. Those are available.

Definitely a once in a lifetime thing! When I lived in the Northwest I always told myself I was going to do it. Now that I moved halfway across the country, I'm not sure if I will or not. Still want to!