Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving to Rosarita Beach, Mexico

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just took delivery of our Model S 70 on Friday. My wife and I are thinking about driving to Rosarita Beach. We live in Orange County, CA. I figured that we would stop at the San Diego SC on the way down and back. From the SC to Rosarita it is about 44 miles Assuming I charge to 80%, that would give us 187 miles of range. This leaves us about 90+ miles of range while we are there.

I am wondering if anyone has done this with their MS and what was there experience taking it into Mexico. Also, the car does not have plates yet. Any concern? Would I be better off driving our other car - a Cadillac ELR? We definitely prefer taking the Tesla.

I was planning to go to AAA to get the Mexican insurance. If we take the Tesla, I would ask AAA what there experience was - particularly with no plates. As far as it being a good idea - I don't know. That is why I posted this. I want to see if anyone else had any experience doing this.

Picture this........you are sitting in traffic inching your way to the border crossing home, (or in RB for that matter) and those cute little kids run over and start cleaning (really dirtying) your windshield and wheels, so then you can pay them to clean your windshield and wheels. You can't do much except watch as they encircle while seeking dollars from the best looking cars. Causing a scene with no plates in Mexico isn't a good idea either, nor is offering easy bucks which only draws more to the pack quicker than you can pull away.

Sorry to be blunt but I think you are nut job crazy even if you luck out with no traffic during your entire trip. Why not drive to Santa Barbara instead? The margaritas are just as good, and you can truly enjoy a worry free (plates, insurance etc) and amazing getaway in your new S.

Reactions: SoccerMan94043
I am a longtime surfer who frequented mexico a ton in the late 80s and throughout the 90s. please don't take your model s there. You are asking for trouble. If absolutely need to go to rosarito, please buy a $1,500 old ford ranger or something. Try to stay under the radar.

I've got nothing nice to say about northern baja. I would not risk my diet, my general health, my wife, my freedom (kidnap). There are some great folks there, but there are also a lot of desperate folks who would take you car and/or your life. Been there, got challenged, escaped, got challenged two more times before getting back to the good-ol-usa. Not EVER going back. Cant recommend it for a macho incognito. And a spanking new Tesla owner? Are you freeking nuts?

We just took delivery of our Model S 70 on Friday. My wife and I are thinking about driving to Rosarita Beach. We live in Orange County, CA. I figured that we would stop at the San Diego SC on the way down and back. From the SC to Rosarita it is about 44 miles Assuming I charge to 80%, that would give us 187 miles of range. This leaves us about 90+ miles of range while we are there.

I am wondering if anyone has done this with their MS and what was there experience taking it into Mexico. Also, the car does not have plates yet. Any concern? Would I be better off driving our other car - a Cadillac ELR? We definitely prefer taking the Tesla.

So there are a couple of concerns, #1 being the biggest one:

1. *IF* you can find good Mexican car insurance - and there is a wide range thereof not all of which is in any way good, here is the primary sticking point: Ensuring that you find coverage that explicitly covers US shop labor rates. Tesla labor is $175/hour. Coverage for $50/hour US won't get you very far. Same with approved body shop rates. I'm not saying it's impossible, but that was one of the hurdles I have yet to resolve.

1a. If anyone *does* find Mexican car insurance through either their own carrier or any other company in-country or not, please do tell. I can say with some certainty that Wawanesa (a fine Canadian company) does not offer Mexican car insurance, so there's one off the list.

1b. If you have financing paperwork, ensure it does not have something to say about vehicle operation in Mexico.

2. Range is fine although not so much if you decide to visit Ensenada or even La Fonda while there. If you plan ahead to be able to use a wall outlet (ensure you have the correct adapters and cabling - and test it first before leaving home), it may not sound like a lot but that extra 30 miles overnight or 70 miles over 24 hours can come in handy if there are impromptu excursions.

3. Federal checkpoints on the way... Your chariot will attract attention. Federales get bored like anybody else. I wouldn't say expect to get pulled over, but be prepared for it. On the flip side, the Green Angels who haunt the toll road are excellent - the toll road is one of the best-patrolled stretches of road in the world.

4. Border re-entry: Here is where you could have a delay. No big deal to wait in line 4-5 hours at peak times as you won't be burning gas. However, expect additional scrutiny (from the US agents) the first time through the/any border. Also don't expect them to know a frunk from a trunk or that the car does not have a key. When they ask you to turn the car off, make some meaningless hand motion as if you tapped something or turned something off. When they ask you to open the trunk, don't ask which one - just open the trunk. If they don't ask about the frunk it will just save time. Besides - that's where the tequila and turtle oil you're smuggling back goes. I kid, I kid. Ask the Russians to find the tequila (a little topical humor there).

Do have a look at the route to Otay Mesa in case they close San Ysidro (the busiest land border crossing on earth); it's not very far, but the signage isn't always consistent. Doesn't happen often, but when it does, it can get interesting. The alternative if both crossings are closed, and that is *rare*, is Tecate - and for that little journey you'll want a sufficient charge and drinking water. It's not all that far, but still. Most people don't really have a choice as they're already in line at San Ysidro and it takes as long as it takes. Check ahead from Rosarito while there's still wifi somewhere.

Last edited:
I'd do it if I could find solid insurance. Crossed that border more times than I can count. There's close to 200,000 expatriated Americans between TJ and Ensenada - and I'd *still* go to hang out in Ensenada and points south thereof :).

I just don't stop until I get there except for the fine vittles at La Fonda, which are not to be missed on Sunday mornings cliffside with bottomless Bloody Marys.

And the drinks aren't bad either *rimshot*. Try the veal and tip your waitstaff - I'm here all week.

I believe you have to get the car back to the US on your own for any warranty work.

I am reminded of bluewater cruiser health insurance that includes global medevac coverage back to the States *and* $10K for a friend or family member to come to wherever you happen to be.

How nice it would be if there was coverage to flatbed a Model S back to the border and across it up to some number of miles, *and* coverage for Rangers to come to your car - even if just 75 or 100 miles into the country. That would cover the primary Baja del Norte tourist zone as well as Puerto Peñasco. And the aforementioned US labor rates, both for Tesla service at $175/hr and whatever the body shop gets.

Tourist zone coverage would dovetail nicely with SCs at the 5 major border crossings and a few smaller ones.

With an SC near Mexico City, it's just a matter of time, but time is a funny thing in Mexico. One of the first things I learned when living there was that mañana does not mean tomorrow; it just means not today. And that's not always a bad thing.

Tourist zone coverage with both SCs and best in class insurance would be mas bueno.

This is a good place to start but there are a lot of moving pieces: Mexican Auto Insurance Online - Baja Bound Mexico Insurance Services

Used to go down there all the time before the violence got out of control. About 15 years sitting upstairs in a Rosarito restaurant enjoying lobster & beer, a fire broke out across the street in one of those gift shops selling junk to tourist, turns out they had a large stash of fireworks & within 30 seconds all hell broke out, "rockets" blew out the restaurant windows & shops went up in flames, it was a good thing we were pretty much done with our lobsters because everyone ran...not just from the restaurant but clear out of town, its the only time in my life I have "dined & ditched".

Been to Baja-Cabo more times then I can remember, its unfortunate that I don't feel safe taking my family down there anymore.

While a Tesla can be replaced other things can't.

Baja California:Tijuana, Rosarito, Ensenada and Mexicali are major cities/travel destinations in the state of Baja California - Exercise caution in the northern state of Baja California, particularly at night. According to the Baja State Secretariat for Public Security, Tijuana and Rosarito continued to experience an increase in homicide rates from January to October 2015compared to the same period in the previous year. While most of these homicides appeared to be targeted criminal organization assassinations, turf battles between criminal groups have resulted in violent crime in areas frequented by U.S. citizens. Shooting incidents, in which innocent bystanders have been injured, have occurred during daylight hours.
Mexico Travel Warning