Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving with J1772 adapter in charge port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had a model y for 3.5years now and I’m still learning new things. Today I learned it’s possible to drive with the J1772 adapter in the charge port. No apparent damage to car and it stayed in all day.
I would’ve thought it would at least complain about the charging door being open, even if it let you drive.

That being said, there is a product, being advertised quite a bit by the “Now you know” channel on YT, the “EVject.” The goal is a breakaway connection so that you can drive away if you feel threatened or whatever (think carjacker at supercharger or bear at campsite).

I’ve had a model y for 3.5years now and I’m still learning new things. Today I learned it’s possible to drive with the J1772 adapter in the charge port. No apparent damage to car and it stayed in all day.
Ha! Thanks for helping to answer my “ I wonder what would happen if…”? question.
I’ve only had my MYLR for about 10 days and twice I’ve pressed the button to disconnect…and held it down when pulling out the plug - leaving the adapter inserted.

Ha! Thanks for helping to answer my “ I wonder what would happen if…”? question.
I’ve only had my MYLR for about 10 days and twice I’ve pressed the button to disconnect…and held it down when pulling out the plug - leaving the adapter inserted.
That’s what happened here. Cars were swapped in the garage and the usual user of the evse with adapter had the Tesla evse instead of the ancient Schneider J1772