Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Droid App Won't connect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the app on my droid phone and on my iPad. It always works flawlessly on my iPad.

On the Droid, it always gives me problems. It will work a couple times then it won't connect. I have to restart my phone in order for it to work and that doesn't always work but usually. Very annoying - has anyone had this problem or found a solution (other than switching phones or lugging iPad around).

More specifically, it won't get past the login screen. I type my username and password and it pops up a message that it can't connect right now. I just reset my phone out of frustration but will take a screenshot of it next time it happens.

Well that was quick. Not even 30 minutes later it won't log in again. The messages reads 'My Tesla Could Not Be Reached At This Time". No changes in phone settings/connectivity. I am sitting in the exact spot it worked in (after reset) 30 minutes ago.

screenshotapp.png

Last edited:
The apps are a work in progress. In this case I can see a few spots that would help with the user experience.

• The app should cache previously known state and provide previous state information for example the color of car, and so on
    • The fact that the information is cached should be made obvious to the app user and greyed out status seems to be the norm for non-synced info
    • Essentially you should make it past the red screen to view last known, by the app, info about the vehicle
    • Some indication of sync state like a greyed out status or icon on the top of the app is all you need to let people know you are working in the background
  • The app needs some help with server sync. First time the app is opened and attempts to rendezvous with Tesla it has to think for a very long time. I have not yet quantified this as I am usually impatient. If, instead, you open-close-open the app quickly it will connect to the car much faster.
    • This could be as simple as improved polling/timing of requests
    • It is interesting to note that if I request the same information from a server at home I get a JSON response very quickly. Seems clear that this is an app side sync/timer issue.
    • If server sync was amazingly good then perhaps caching would not be as critical. It is still good to do, just not as critical.
  • Some fields in the app don't show up until after a few toggles (climate control is one that I noticed).
    • Similar thinking should go here when feasible/reasonable. Provide greyed out status and tell us you are busy polling.

I don't think this was a complete thread hijack but perhaps not totally related so my apologies.

I can connect to my car every other time with the Droid app. I don't get the login message - I just get an endless spinning wait. If I back out and go back in again, I get the red Tesla splash screen and then things connect. It's always the same.

I was thinking today of other things that would be (I think?) easy to add to the app that would be nice. Maybe not everyone would want these, so it could be like the calculator app where you have the 'normal' and 'scientific' versions or you can enable the extra tab. With it being app and the data available, you could conceivably customize your app to what you want to see.

I'd like to look at the app right now and know how many miles I've put on the car. Since it is all digital, you could probably create an interface to see that and trip mileage, etc.
I'd also like to be able to turn on the rear window defroster this winter when it is snowy. Turning on the heat will be great, but that would be even better.

Also, I want to see how many miles I drive each day. It obviously tracks that. Doesn't need to be on the app, but on a login somewhere. Is that available? Yes, I can write them down, but this data is being collected already.

I can connect to my car every other time with the Droid app. I don't get the login message - I just get an endless spinning wait. If I back out and go back in again, I get the red Tesla splash screen and then things connect. It's always the same.
this is my exact experience as well. I just kill the app after using each time now.

My droid app has behaved consistently since I got it:

First, when I open the app, it just loads endlessly, then I go back to the home screen and open the app again and it opens up after loading for a few seconds.

At first I figured I just wasn't giving it enough time to load the first time, but when I have tried to let it load for 30 seconds once it still didn't load. The two pronged approach has me operational quicker than that. It's annoying, but at least it's consistent

I used to have slow connections or no connections with my Samsung S4 but after software update 6.2 236 it connects quite quickly 99% of the time.
If I do get the "could not be reached" message I go into Android Settings / More / Application Manager and touch the Tesla App and Clear cache and Force stop.