Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual blank/black screens

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2012 MS P85. Software 2023.32.7. MCU2 upgrade Mar 2023.

Twice in the past week I was welcomed, both first thing in the morning, to dual blank/black screens. Able to place car in gear, key fob OK to regulate frunk, trunk lid, etc. Unable to open charging port lid using fob, app or charging cable.

Both times steering wheel reboot solved the concern. TSC appointment slated for 18 Oct.

Thoughts?

2012 MS P85. Software 2023.32.7. MCU2 upgrade Mar 2023.

Twice in the past week I was welcomed, both first thing in the morning, to dual blank/black screens. Able to place car in gear, key fob OK to regulate frunk, trunk lid, etc. Unable to open charging port lid using fob, app or charging cable.

Both times steering wheel reboot solved the concern. TSC appointment slated for 18 Oct.

Thoughts?
Hmmm... odd, it sounds like an MCU issue, but you upgraded to MCU2.

I was seeing errors like this all the time as my MCU1 aged. I got the free eMMC chip upgrade (8 GB to 64 GB), but about a year or so later, I started seeing issues again. So, I upgraded my MCU1 to MCU2 back in April 2023 and I love it. Much more responsive, I have internet access again, it doesn't leak any goo, and there are lots of new features you'll get for Navigation, etc. The upgrade cost $1800 for me (2014 Model S 60, pre-autopilot).

Hopefully they'll find the issue during your service call. Please let us know what happens.

Reactions: NV Ray
It sounds as if your eMMC chip is full. I was seeing errors like this all the time as my MCU aged. I got the free eMMC chip upgrade (8 GB to 64 GB), but about a year or so later, I started seeing issues again. So, I upgraded my MCU1 to MCU2 back in April 2023 and I love it. Much more responsive, I have internet access again, it doesn't leak any goo, and there are lots of new features you'll get for Navigation, etc. The upgrade cost $1800 for me (2014 Model S 60, pre-autopilot).
Op said mcu2 installed this year.

Reactions: JAlbury825
Follow up from Tesla. 1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4 (2).jpg5.jpg