Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual nema 14-50 into wall charger for charging at the track

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anybody ever wired a wall charger to simultaneously plug into 2 nema 14-50 outlets for faster charging at the racetrack?

I'm sure somebody's going to ask why so here goes...you need to charge as quickly as you can at the track, and you only have access to 50a plugs scattered about the paddock. for the mobile connector you can only charge up to 32 amps, and sometimes you get a little voltage drop doing that even. If I split it between two plugs I would assume I'll get less voltage drop and be able to charge at 48a. That would make all the difference in the world.

Has anybody done it, or do you have any recommendations?

Thanks

L8d

Stick to racing and leave the electricity to the electricians. 😉

What you describe simply doesn’t work the way you envision it to, for a multitude of reasons.

If you have access to 50 amp plugs, there ARE charging cables that can provide 40 amps on a 14-50 circuit vs. the 32 you’re getting from the Gen 2 mobile connector. On the Tesla side, the Gen 1 UMC or Corded Mobile Connector will each give you 40 amps vs. 32. I’m sure there are third party options as well.

Yeah, so 32A -> 40A is 25% more, although you might get slightly more voltage sag? Anyway, what you really need is a DC fast charger at the track but that costs a good couple hundred thousands so it might take a while...

A hardwired level 2 charger could get you to 48A though, if they are willing to install one. That would be 50% more than your current 32A, for a couple grand?

Stick to racing and leave the electricity to the electricians. 😉

What you describe simply doesn’t work the way you envision it to, for a multitude of reasons.

If you have access to 50 amp plugs, there ARE charging cables that can provide 40 amps on a 14-50 circuit vs. the 32 you’re getting from the Gen 2 mobile connector. On the Tesla side, the Gen 1 UMC or Corded Mobile Connector will each give you 40 amps vs. 32. I’m sure there are third party options as well.
Please list the reasons, as that's why I made the post.

What you suggest doesn't work due to voltage drop. Some of the 50a plugs at some tracks give a 5% voltage drop when producing 32a. The wiring gets hot enough asking 32a from a single plug.

Yeah, so 32A -> 40A is 25% more, although you might get slightly more voltage sag? Anyway, what you really need is a DC fast charger at the track but that costs a good couple hundred thousands so it might take a while...

A hardwired level 2 charger could get you to 48A though, if they are willing to install one. That would be 50% more than your current 32A, for a couple grand?

I would love dc fast charging there but it's very uncommon. And I cannot hardwire anything on someone else's property.

Anyone have any ideas?

L8d

Please list the reasons, as that's why I made the post.
Parallel breakers are specifically forbidden by code unless explicitly manufactured that way.

It’s dumb and dangerous.

You have no way to make sure the current is evenly or even close to evenly split between the two circuits because of varying resistance.

You’d need to make absolutely certain that the hot wires you’re hacking together from two plugs are on the same phase of service, which would be nearly impossible in a situation where you don’t have access to the main breaker panel and can’t verify with certainty which leg of each circuit connects to which blade in the receptacle (i.e. there’s no “ready made” way to have this work where you can plug into any two random receptacles at any track and have it work - the hack job would need to be specific for each individual scenario).
What you suggest doesn't work due to voltage drop. Some of the 50a plugs at some tracks give a 5% voltage drop when producing 32a. The wiring gets hot enough asking 32a from a single plug.
The circuit is either 50 amps or it isn’t. 50 amp circuits should be designed to provide 40 amps continuously.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
There was some good info in that post, and I thank you for it. I'll put it here for others to read:

You’d need to make sure that the hot wires from the two plugs are on the same phase of service, that each leg of each circuit connects to the same blades in each receptacle, which you would verify with access to the breaker panel.

You see it is possible to post a reply that is helpful and polite on an online forum.

L8d

There was some good info in that post, and I thank you for it. I'll put it here for others to read:

You’d need to make sure that the hot wires from the two plugs are on the same phase of service, that each leg of each circuit connects to the same blades in each receptacle, which you would verify with access to the breaker panel.

You see it is possible to post a reply that is helpful and polite on an online forum.

L8d

You left out the "forbidden by code unless explicitly manufactured that way" and you also edited the part you quoted. If you are going to copy part of someones posts, it shouldnt be re written.

The relevant parts, are:

Parallel breakers are specifically forbidden by code unless explicitly manufactured that way.

You have no way to make sure the current is evenly or even close to evenly split between the two circuits because of varying resistance.

You’d need to make absolutely certain that the hot wires you’re hacking together from two plugs are on the same phase of service, which would be nearly impossible in a situation where you don’t have access to the main breaker panel and can’t verify with certainty which leg of each circuit connects to which blade in the receptacle (i.e. there’s no “ready made” way to have this work where you can plug into any two random receptacles at any track and have it work - the hack job would need to be specific for each individual scenario).

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H and RTPEV