Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ear pain in Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't know this was a thing. The linked page is a bit hard to follow, other than one guy saying he gets the problem and his wife doesn't, in the same car, at the same time.

Can you describe the issue a bit more, and also have you run it past your GP? If it was something unusual about the car, wouldn't we all experience it?

I've noticed this pressure imbalance in my previous cars when I have just one window open. It's almost like having a bass drum right next to your head. It's always been resolved by cracking a window in the opposite side of the car.

Having said that, I almost always have the windows up on my Y and I've not noticed anything similar.

Reactions: Maximillan
I've noticed this pressure imbalance in my previous cars when I have just one window open. It's almost like having a bass drum right next to your head. It's always been resolved by cracking a window in the opposite side of the car.

Yep I've definitely experienced that one. This buffeting can pretty much be reproduced in any car at the right speed with one window open.

Having said that, I almost always have the windows up on my Y and I've not noticed anything similar.

Agreed. First I've heard of it. Only thing I can think of is maybe the AC is on bio protection mode (or whatever it's called). This creates a slightly positive cabin pressure if all windows are shut.

OP @Pyl62 does everyone travelling in the car experience it?

Has anyone in Australia experienced the issues with ear pain discussed here: Ear pain/Pressure help

And reported it to Tesla? If so, what kind of response did you get? My MY RWD is driving me nuts because of this and before I start modifying a brand new car I'd like to hear if anyone has got any help from Tesla...
I’v had this in model S. I resolved it by adjusting the rubber stoppers that control where the boot closes. I just did small adjustments until I found the sweet spot.

MY made me feel sick + sore ears when I first got it. Went away after a while. It is different somehow to an ICE car for sure. Definitely moves a bit differently with much tighter cabin sealing perhaps. I think your body gets used to it.

Did you see this post: “
I had a similar issue (2022 MYP, Fremont, built 12/2021) of slight fluctuating cabin pressure which made my ears pop often and made my head feel strange. Also made me tired fairly quickly. However my trunk made fairly loud snare drum sounds whenever going over bumpy roads. My trunk panel gaps were also large enough that Tesla deemed them out of specification. Tesla technicians felt no ear pressure issues & sent car to a body shop for trunk and other door panel gap corrections. My plan was to get gaps fixed and sell car. But luckily I didn’t end up selling.
Got car back and thrashing drum like sound from trunk vanished and so did the odd cabin pressure issues which made my ears pop every so often & my head no longer felt as if it were under pressure. I no longer felt tired from driving the car. Body shop realigned the trunk and doors. the four liftgate bump stoppers wee adjusted too. The above thread mentions the liftgate bump stoppers”
You can adjust the boot stoppers very easily yourself btw

Has anyone in Australia experienced the issues with ear pain discussed here: Ear pain/Pressure help

And reported it to Tesla? If so, what kind of response did you get? My MY RWD is driving me nuts because of this and before I start modifying a brand new car I'd like to hear if anyone has got any help from Tesla...
OMG. I just bought a brand new Tesla Model Y and this is the exact problem I'm having. It sounds like you have one window slightly opened and the sound just hurts your ears. I got so bad, it made my wife and kids sick. I've scheduled an appointment with the Service center, this is unacceptable. I researched online and they said that some service center replaced their Temperature sensor and another one replaced the thermal unit and that solved the problem. I test drove a demo Model Y and didn't hear this problem in the demo unit, but I did hear a whizzing noise, but it wasn't as bad as my Model Y.

2023 MYLR Shanghai owner here in Sydney. I’m an audio recording producer and also working in occupational hearing health. Bought the Y due to its sublime serenity. The double glazing and overall acoustic design is better than any vehicle we have experienced.

Reactions: Jules22