Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Knee pain after coming from Toyota Land Cruiser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Crazy I had my Land Cruiser for three years and I’ve driven an SUV, including my wife’s BMW for years, before that I had a dodge charger hellcat, but since getting my model S over the last three weeks, I find myself having some Inner knee pain which I’ve never had before. Hmm!

I rented a model S plaid on Turo for a week and didn’t have any issues maybe because that had the yolk, but I find myself having to get in very awkwardly in my model S performance, and now basically having to sit first and swing my legs in lol has anyone experienced this a coincidence or am I just getting old? I’m not even 50 yet and in fairly good shape :)
Wondering if this would be different in a model X
thanks in advance.
Rob

Had the same issue in a GTI, and initially in Model S as well. The issue for me was the angle of the knee. If I gave enough room to knee, then back would hurt. Over time I've realized adjusting even an inch makes a difference, but you need to take your time. You probably will not be able to get the right position in one go in a sedan. So i adjust over multiple drives. I even go and sit in parked car in garage to see if something starts hurting when i am not feeling any pain anywhere, and then finely adjust to relieve that. The article that helped me was Proper Positioning While Driving - Frederick MD.
Here are some points I've realized from my experience:
* Not having the bend in elbows means steering wheel is too far and that might hurt your back. 8-2 hand position should have slightly more bend than when your hand is at 12 o clock.
* Raise the seat as much you can and tilt it to get as much under thigh support as possible. If you feel every movement of your leg under your thigh, then reduce the tilt until you have support, but are not feeling every movement in that region.
* Finding the balance between tilting back rest, moving seat forward/backward and moving steering wheel closer to you takes time. So be patient. You want to sit as upright as possible.
* Moving seat forward/backward/upward/downward changes angle of the knee. For me, having my foot such that it covers 70% of accelerator works. From there I try to find an angle for the knee such that foot can pivot on ankle when i need to operate accelerator while feeling close to nothing in the knee.

IMHO, Model X would help you if you're not able to find the right position for yourself in Model S.

Good luck!

Land Cruisers will do that to you. Sometimes the onset of the pain can be delayed by several months. Good that you got rid of it when you did!
No, the funny thing is, I was saying I’m experiencing pain in the Tesla that I have to get down lower and get in at such a weird angle. I was fine in the land cruiser stepping up. Was funny I did see a video on a sidenote of Larry David getting into his Tesla and he got in the same way but first and swinging his feet around it’s just new to me. I haven’t had a car the slow really ever.

I actually pommel horse it getting into my ‘23 so my seat bolster zero wear forever. My left hand on sill to lift my arse up and over rarely touching any fake leather.

Zero wear in any of my vehicles. my LC on 37s, obviously different technique.

I’m water tank verified 6% body fat and have been all my adult life. Physical 100 is the best show on Netflix. TMI lol

Last edited:
Uncomfortable seats and seating position is reason #23 why I sold my 2023 Model S.

The thing about EV cars is that the floor is higher up because of the battery. That's why I would no longer ever recommend anyone buy an EV car after my experiences with the Model 3 and Model S.

A more upright SUV or truck EV doesn't have this problem. The footwells in an ICE car become raised floor in an EV car that raises your feet up. That, combined with the most un-adjustable, adjustable electric seats ever made, gave me back pains after 45mins of driving. I don't have back pains in any other car, ever. The seat bottoms also lack length so the bottom of your legs are not supported which puts more pressure on your knees, back, and ankles.

The Model S seats are further proof that substantiates Tesla own claim that they are not a car company.

Last edited:
No, the funny thing is, I was saying I’m experiencing pain in the Tesla that I have to get down lower and get in at such a weird angle. I was fine in the land cruiser stepping up. Was funny I did see a video on a sidenote of Larry David getting into his Tesla and he got in the same way but first and swinging his feet around it’s just new to me. I haven’t had a car the slow really ever.
You can set up an “entry” setting to move seat/wheel etc to a comfortable height for ease of entry to help. All in the manual.

Crazy I had my Land Cruiser for three years and I’ve driven an SUV, including my wife’s BMW for years, before that I had a dodge charger hellcat, but since getting my model S over the last three weeks, I find myself having some Inner knee pain which I’ve never had before. Hmm!

I rented a model S plaid on Turo for a week and didn’t have any issues maybe because that had the yolk, but I find myself having to get in very awkwardly in my model S performance, and now basically having to sit first and swing my legs in lol has anyone experienced this a coincidence or am I just getting old? I’m not even 50 yet and in fairly good shape :)
Wondering if this would be different in a model X
thanks in advance.
Rob
Have you mentioned this to your wife? I can imagine that many women would laugh at your "struggle".

Yes, an X should be less likely to force you to go arse first.

It's all about not hitting your head. Arse first allows you to lower your head position more easily and that's more important in a low-slung sedan.

And it's not just an EV thing. I don't get in arse first, but I'm much more likely to tap my head getting into my Volt than my Kona EV and the Volt has the battery in a T shape so doesn't raise the floor.

Uncomfortable seats and seating position is reason #23 why I sold my 2023 Model S.

The thing about EV cars is that the floor is higher up because of the battery. That's why I would no longer ever recommend anyone buy an EV car after my experiences with the Model 3 and Model S.

A more upright SUV or truck EV doesn't have this problem. The footwells in an ICE car become raised floor in an EV car that raises your feet up. That, combined with the most un-adjustable, adjustable electric seats ever made, gave me back pains after 45mins of driving. I don't have back pains in any other car, ever. The seat bottoms also lack length so the bottom of your legs are not supported which puts more pressure on your knees, back, and ankles.

The Model S seats are further proof that substantiates Tesla own claim that they are not a car company.
the seating position in my S and my S2000 are very similar.. of course any SUV is going to have a different seating position than a sports car.. my model Y is more upright would probably be more to your liking (especially with the 2" lift)

If you get the yoke steering wheel on the Model S you can turn it upside down which will give you 6" more clearance to get in and out.
For me this is one of the best features of the yoke wheel, making it a lot more comfortable getting in and out of the car.

Reactions: coolkinghb