TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Economist The electric-fuel-trade acid test

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by vfx, Sep 11, 2009.

1. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

The electrification of motoring: The electric-fuel-trade acid test | The Economist

Great read.

Then they say, switch cameras to cars.... :)

2. mt2

mt2 Member

I wouldn't call it a great read, but it certainly is a good one. The (uncredited) author seems to have a good grasp of disruptive technology and articulates it well. Makes a strong case.

But his Tesla facts are a mixed bag. His comments indicating Elon Musk is solely responsible for the Tesla Roadster caused me to sigh and shake my head - but could be attributed to not wanting to dilute the article with the unrelated soap opera. He completely misses the battery count of 6831 - which would have driven his point home if he had gotten it right. On the other hand, he correctly states that Daimler has a 6% investment in Tesla instead of 10%, which would be excused.

Overall, however, he nails the subject matter.

3. BBHighway

BBHighway Member

The part about Musk coming up with the idea for the Tesla was cringe-worthy.

In addition to Martin Eberhard, there was one other subject significantly missing from the article: Hydrogen. The fact that it made no mention at all could be interpreted as the meaning the writer sees no chance at all that hydrogen will actually ever make it in to any sort of commercial viability.