Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Edmunds has posted true cost to own numbers.. LOLOLOL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You mean this?????

edmunds.jpg

Hey, yours is cheaper than mine :(

60626 is obviously a better zip code to own a Model S than 92880. Mine is gonna cost me $13k . . .

- - - Updated - - -

It is a little different for me to own??
or they have 'fixed' it:biggrin:

View attachment 9323

You live in California, so your numbers are the same as mine :)

We need to move to Chicago with chmod a+wrx . . .

- - - Updated - - -

The energy costs go up year by year. I wonder what level of battery degradation they are assuming. Time for math . . .

Year 2 - 821/846 = 0.971
Year 3 - 821/871 = 0.943
Year 4 - 821/898 = 0.914
Year 5 - 821/924 = 0.888

It doesn't include how much degradation they expect in the first year, but it looks like their model assumes a 3% degradation per year, so I guess it works out to 15% over 5 years. Wonder if those are actually based on their analysis of the Model S batteries or if its a mistake? Some have posted 7 or 8 year numbers which aren't much worse (i.e. 7 years would be 21%, 8 years 24%).

- - - Updated - - -

losing ~15% after 5 years and 75,000 miles looks like a credible number for me, so I assume that's an actual estimate on the part of Edmunds regarding Model S battery degradation. Where are our resident battery experts when we need them? :)

Move here?

I'll be glad to swap my house for yours for a 1 year trial!

Only if you take my underwater mortgage with it.. Riverside County is ground zero for the national housing crisis :tongue:

Anyone know why energy costs would go up with the Model S? How does degradation (which results in a smaller battery) cause higher energy costs? I assume they are modeling changes to the battery chemistry as opposed to a less efficient charging system, but do those inefficiencies also reflect reduced charge capacity, and is there a linear relationship?

The more I think about it, the less I understand the Edmunds fuel numbers, which likely means I can't extrapolate degradation from them at all. Oh well, it seemed like a good idea at the time :)

Anyone know why energy costs would go up with the Model S? How does degradation (which results in a smaller battery) cause higher energy costs? I assume they are modeling changes to the battery chemistry as opposed to a less efficient charging system, but do those inefficiencies also reflect reduced charge capacity, and is there a linear relationship?

The more I think about it, the less I understand the Edmunds fuel numbers, which likely means I can't extrapolate degradation from them at all. Oh well, it seemed like a good idea at the time :)

Battery degradation won't consume more power. I think their increasing fuel prices are due to electric rates increasing.

Ok, a huge nevermind about the fuel costs going up. Every car Edmunds lists has the same ~3% increase, so it must be something stupid like inflation. It's certainly a meaningless number if both ICE vehicles and electric have fuel costs which increase at the same rate.

- - - Updated - - -

Battery degradation won't consume more power. I think their increasing fuel prices are due to electric rates increasing.

^^ Yes, I'm pretty sure it's a basic inflation estimate. I assumed that the numbers would be corrected for inflation so they would be meaningful to a car buyer.

The one I saw was all $0's.

It's clearly under construction, and almost meaningless until they correctly populate all of the values. The fuel costs look consistent with what they estimate for Chevy Volt or Nissan Leaf, in that the Model S costs a bit more than either of those thanks to a lower MPGe. But at this point that, and maybe financing fees look like the only items rooted in reality.

Try putting in your zip code to see if numbers show up, but mostly it's of interest because until recently nothing was in there. So it's nice to know that Edmunds is starting to fill in the data.