TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Edmunds review

Discussion in 'News' started by TEG, Feb 11, 2008.

1. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#1 TEG, Feb 11, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
    2008 Tesla Roadster First Drive

Lots of details, and a nice video, although this part seems questionable:

==================================================================================================
    "Tesla insists that the 1.5 package will enable the one-speed car to meet the Roadster's original performance target of 0-60-mph acceleration in 4.7 seconds.

We asked one of our own engineers to do a little number-crunching based on the few facts Tesla would supply, and we estimate that the new system will be rated at somewhere around 320 hp and 275 lb-ft of torque — a not-insubstantial boost of 30 percent."
    ==================================================================================================

I don't know where they got that 4.7s target, nor how they came up with those powertrain 1.5 numbers.

2. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

#2 stopcrazypp, Feb 11, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
    I asked those same questions when I read that, so I'm glad you brought it up. Never heard the 4.7 number anywhere else either. Wasn't the roadster originally 248hp/211lbft? 30% boost is correct as calculated but a 72hp/62lb-ft isn't a small increase. In an exige, a ~30hp/30lbft bump shaved off .6 secs in the 0-60. Maybe they are guessing that's the kind of increase needed to keep the 0-60?

Also the lower range seems to be present pretty consistent in these first drives. But there can be many factors that cause this so I'm going to wait till the final production models are out and see some owner feedback on how the range is.

3. BBHighway

BBHighway Member

Why BEVs Are Different

None of the reviews really get into what I think is the best thing about BEVs:

No sparkplugs
    No distributor
    No ignition coil
    No oil changes
    No oil filter
    No oil pump
    No air filter
    No valves
    No lifters
    No timing belt
    No catalytic convertor
    No muffler
    No oxygen sensor
    No EGR valve
    No fuel pump
    No carburettor
    No fuel injectors
    No alternator
    No starter
    No pistons
    No piston rings
    No connecting rods
    No camshaft
    No fanbelt

At one time or another, i have had every one of these parts fail or need to be serviced on at least one vehicle that I have owned.

Service items for the Tesla:
    Tires
    Brakes
    Coolant
    Coolant pump
    ESS (aka battery pack)
    Windshield wipers & fluid

4. TedK

TedK Member

Its amazing to me how inaccurate the "information sources" are on a regular basis. Hopefully someone over at Tesla will contact them and get it corrected.

5. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

There are probably a few more usual things like:
    Gearbox oil
    Wheel bearing grease
    Alignment adjustments
    And you have to wipe the grin off of the driver's face once and a while. :biggrin:

6. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

If you take the 5.7 sec number for the current "one speed" and want to get to 4 sec then it is ~30% quicker. Perhaps they just did a simple calculation thinking they need 30% more HP? If so that would be wrong for a couple of reasons including the fact that Tesla intends to have a different gear ratio for the replacement "1.5" one speed gearbox. I wonder if Edmund's factored in the planned gear ratio changes? In any case the HP/Torque speculation seems like a bit of a needless exercise right now.

7. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I also wonder about this part:
    Could that be true? An hour's charge only gets you 23 miles and you are still torque limited?

"I would think with the 70 amp charger one hour would get you about 220 / 3.5 = 60+ miles of range. Maybe they stopped at Tesla HQ for an hour but didn't actually have the car hooked to the charger for nearly that long?

And what about that? I thought the Roadster offered nearly full performance until just before empty... I think the pack voltage does drop a bit between full and empty but this is the first I have seen someone say it actually causes a noticeable difference in performance. (Contrast this to a gasoline car where performance increases as the tank gets empty because of the weight reduction)

8. tonybelding

tonybelding Active Member

Something doesn't add up. Even if they were really hammering it and only getting 160 MPC, you can calculate 160 / 3.5 = 45.7 miles.