Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Efficient Charging Schedule without a garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

Thanks firsthand to this community, I was able to do some research and finally bought M3LR. Additionally, if similar/bigger threads I apologize and please refer me to them.

It’s my first time owning a Tesla and my biggest downside is I don’t currently have access to a garage, NYC apartment.

My rough plan: supercharge it as much as possible or destination charger when possible.

Note that I heard and am aware that supercharging it too often can cause battery degradation, what do I do to avoid it as much as possible?

Any tips on charging and first time owners’ general tips would be much appreciated, thanks!

Any tips on charging and first time owners’ general tips would be much appreciated, thanks!

Understand that if you use Sentry Mode, your car will use somewhere around 15-20 "miles" every 24 hour period, simply sitting there. Make a decision on if you want to charge that much more and use sentry mode, or not, and dont.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Assuming that you have a job that takes you away from home, it would be great if you get access to a charger at work, or near there. That's what I was able to do for the first year of ownership. L2 charging (240V 30A) gets you about 22 miles of range per hour. Although I do have a single family home, my garage is being used as storage so our vehicles are outside. I also don't have a 240V outlet or a dedicated 120V circuit in my garage so for the last 2.75 years I've been using a local ChargePoint DC Fast station, along with a Supercharger. I generally charge up to the 90% level.

Another possible solution, although it may be more expensive, would be to get an account with one of the local EVSE companies in your area; EVgo, Electrify America (EA), ChargePoint, etc. and use those L2 charging networks. Use the PlugShare app or website to look around and see what is available where you live and work. You will need to use the J1772 adapter for L2 charging, which I believe still comes with a new car. If they do not, then they are available at the Tesla Shop or eBay.

A word about my use of ChargePoint DC Fast: I have a CHAdeMO adapter which converts that connection into a Tesla-compatible handle. They are no longer being sold by Tesla so you'd have to go the eBay/Craigslist/this forum route to get one. Originally available for $500, you'd be lucky to get one <$700. The main "problem" with this adapter is that it is limited to 50kW of power. Urban Superchargers start at 72kW and the bigger V2 and V3 stations go all the way up to 350kW which is one of the reasons why Supercharging is tough on a battery. With the 50kW maximum available with the CHAdeMO adapter, I view it as L2.5 charging; a bit faster than L2 / Destination charging but not as quick as a Supercharger. I usually put on 100-105 miles in an hour when I'm below 40%. Doing this for the last couple of years has my estimated full range at 305 miles (originally 310-325 miles). The other "problem" with CHAdeMO is that it is a standard that is going the way of the dodo bird. I would NOT recommend getting a CHAdeMO adapter at this time, unless you can find one at a miracle price AND there are many CHAdeMO stations where you are (or will be). Tesla is supposed to be working on a CCS adapter which can be used on newer Model 3/Y but it's not known when it will be released to the USA. Newer DC chargers are a vast majority of CCS, with CHAdeMO an afterthought; EA is supposed to have phased out new CHadeMO installations beginning this year (outside CA). I understand the EVgo is installing stations that have a built-in CHAdeMO-to-Tesla adapter so Teslas can DC charge there.

Thank you very much all for the tips.

As for the frequency, I usually drive 30 miles daily. Is it okay if I charge once or twice a week? Or would charging more frequently be better?

Thank you.

Thank you very much all for the tips.

As for the frequency, I usually drive 30 miles daily. Is it okay if I charge once or twice a week? Or would charging more frequently be better?

Thank you.

You will figure out the frequency you need to charge based on your usage. If I had to guess, I would say its likely its going to be once every 4-5 days (90% to 20-30%)