Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multiple Charging Schedules

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, Is it possible to set 2 separate charging schedules. Im about to pick up my '23 Model 3 next week and i currently have a Tesla wall charger (48A) in my garage. I drive 150miles a day for work. I get home roughly at 5pm. Im under the impression my battery will be around 20% (i hope) when i arrive home. Is there a way to set my charging to lets say when i arrive home to only charge to lets say 40% at 5pm (for any emergent driving I do before going asleep) and then have the car finish off the 50% - 90% at 2AM (as rates are cheaper then)

thanks!

You cannot set this up using the car or the app. You could do it manually by setting a 40% charge limit when you get home. Of course, you'll need to raise it up when your rates go down! You could, of course, set a a reminder in your phone to alert you each day at that time.

The Tesla API does allow setting charge limits remotely. If you're a programmer, you could possibly write a small program to play with the charge limits automatically. Or, using home automation software, like HomeAssistant, you could set up an automation to do this. There are commercial Tesla tracking services, like teslafi and teslascope that might have some capability here. You could check with them.

However, you might also consider how often you find yourself needing to do some emergency driving in the evening and how far you would need to go in such cases. Unless the driving is a true emergency, you may have the option to stop at a nearby supercharger. Starting with a SoC below 20%, a mere five minutes at a supercharger will give you quite a bit of range. If the need is infrequent, it might be better than having to fiddle around with manually starting and stopping a charge every day.

Finally, consider that 20% allows quite a bit of driving. It's likely to be plenty to do ordinary errands in the evening. On the highway, you should be able to get around 50 miles, depending on weather.

Reactions: E90alex
Here is how I solved my similar issue. Set your Tesla so off peak charging is enabled. Assume yours is set to depart at 7:40am. Plug in when you get home. Set an alarm on your phone for 5;15pm. This is your reminder to plug in and start charging. Use your Tesla app to start charging. Set another alarm on your phone for 6:45pm in or whatever you want that gives you the range you want. When the 6:45 alarm goes off, use the Tesla app to stop charging. For the rest of the night your scheduled departure setting will control

Best thing is you plug in and the rest can be controlled by your phone

Good luck.

I'm guessing HomeAssistant can do it. I am controlling the charging and reminding me to plug in the car with HomeSeer. HomeAssistant is free. HomeSeer cost money. You can have it start charging when the car is at a certain percent and stop charging when the car is at a certain percent as many times as you like every night.

I'm guessing HomeAssistant can do it. I am controlling the charging and reminding me to plug in the car with HomeSeer. HomeAssistant is free. HomeSeer cost money. You can have it start charging when the car is at a certain percent and stop charging when the car is at a certain percent as many times as you like every night.
If you can dream up a scheme, you can probably implement it with homeassistant. You could certainly implement multiple scheduled charging windows or even key charging and/or conditioning to events in your calendar.

I've asked the programmer behind the Stats app to allow for charging the car according to the near-real-time renewables %'age of my grid...Texas has routinely been above 60% renewables for several hours a day for the past couple of months...since I'm on a fixed rate plan, I want to pull as may 'lower carbon' electrons off the grid as possible. There's a website called Grid Status - Energy data in sync with the grid where you can pick your ISO and there's a pre-built chart for "% renewables". What I've asked for is for me to set a min % renewables trigger to charge from, provided we are plugged in. I'm not looking for perfection, so maybe the app checks the %'age every 30 or 60 min and only sends a signal to the car when warranted. This %age will vary throughout the year, but would allow me (and many others) to "vote with their electrons" on which fuel source to use. Sharing this here for others who may be using TeslaFi and the others...would like to get this created as a standard for all the apps.