Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrek reporting Tesla opening up orders to all US and Canada reservations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup.

Because that means the company has a liability (owing the car to you) that they haven't satisfied yet.

Tesla themselves points out their deposits are liabilities in their Q10 report-
They are liabilities but at the same time they are locked in orders, since if a customer cancels Tesla keeps that money. So they should be able to use that deposit money towards ordering parts for the cars to be built.

I honestly don’t understand how they could possibly deliver me a car in 3-5 months. There are like 300,000 people ahead of me in line?
Neh, that's just the media hype line. You have to think, US reservation only (so subtract the rest of the world), long range battery only (so subtract anyone waiting for the standard battery, $35K model, which I suspect is a very large percentage or people).

They are liabilities but at the same time they are locked in orders, since if a customer cancels Tesla keeps that money. So they should be able to use that deposit money towards ordering parts for the cars to be built.

That's cash on hand, which is a separate thing from revenue. Taking out a loan does the same thing. You sign a promissory to pay the bank later and they hand you some cash. Increase in cash on hand, and that's a very good thing if you've got something to spend it on (like Tesla does to bridge between buying stuff to build cars and the customers paying them the remaining amount for that car) but it's not counted as revenue, of course.