Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrek reporting Tesla opening up orders to all US and Canada reservations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So does our reservation now mean nothing? Why did I give Tesla $1000 for over two years if someone who ordered this year can configure the same time as me!? Loyalty does NOT beget loyalty apparently.
It could still determine order of delivery. Looks like they're going to make Performance first and then AWD/LR. There's no reason for them not to prioritize based on reservation time... They're just trying to maximize profits in Q3 by pushing all Performance orders in to Q3.

Reactions: T-Will
It could still determine order of delivery. Looks like they're going to make Performance first and then AWD/LR. There's no reason for them not to prioritize based on reservation time... They're just trying to maximize profits in Q3 by pushing all Performance orders in to Q3.

Agreed, this is strikes me as quite possible. I still haven't heard from any prior order holder if this is new website behavior (so could have weight as evidence of this) or it's legacy text that doesn't mean much: Tesla website behavior after you've ordered your Model 3

They also are likely to hesitant to list an estimate for the First Production as quicker to ship than AWD, drawing away from the LR-D.

I honestly don’t understand how they could possibly deliver me a car in 3-5 months. There are like 300,000 people ahead of me in line?

Don't think of it as 300,000 people in one line, think of it like

* 50,000 people in line for $64,000 Performance trim
* 100,000 people in line for $53,000 AWD "all in" AWD + PUP + LR
* 50,000 people in line for $49,000 "First available" - PUP + LR - NO AWD
* 50,000 people in line for $48,000 AWD LR - NO PUP
* 50,000 people in line for $44,000 AWD PUP - NO LR
* 50,000 people in line for $44,000 LR, no PUP, no AWD
* 50,000 people in line for $40,000 PUP, no AWD, no LR

and so on. So long as you pick a config high enough on the list you are ahead of hundreds of thousands of people.

I disagree the people who lined up overnight on 3/31 are owed something..
54c69e4e05ce1.jpeg

Don't think of it as 300,000 people in one line, think of it like

* 50,000 people in line for $64,000 Performance trim
* 100,000 people in line for $53,000 AWD "all in" AWD + PUP + LR
* 50,000 people in line for $49,000 "First available" - PUP + LR - NO AWD
* 50,000 people in line for $48,000 AWD LR - NO PUP
* 50,000 people in line for $44,000 AWD PUP - NO LR
* 50,000 people in line for $44,000 LR, no PUP, no AWD
* 50,000 people in line for $40,000 PUP, no AWD, no LR

and so on. So long as you pick a config high enough on the list you are ahead of hundreds of thousands of people.
It could just be that Tesla wants to get that ordering data in house so they can plan ahead to configure their assembly line process to optimize output.

This makes sense. Would be smart of them to figure out actual demand. Hopefully when they adjust delivery estimates again they can provide better actual estimates. I don’t think these 3-5 month ones are going to hold up for the later reservation holders unless there really are a ton of people waiting for the SR model.

I think Tesla opened the design studio up to all US & Canadian reservation holders because:
1) They confident in their model 3 production rate.
2) They know not everyone will want the same car so they can still prioritize their production line based on what people actually order.

I think it makes perfect sense. There were probably a lot of reservation holders like me, who reserved late, but who want the "1st production" model. Now that they can produce it fast enough, why not let someone like me order it now and make the extra sale?