Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric utility does not recognize energy coming from powerwalls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
6.88 solar system; 2 powerwalls

My two powerwalls were powered on July 10, 2022 . Since that time my electric utility has not recognized energy coming from the powerwalls to power my home and instead charged me as if the energy was coming from the grid. My smart meter was changed Jan 5, 2023 but this did nothing to solve the problem. The Tesla app shows everything to be operating properly and the powerwalls powered my home when there were two brief outages over the last month. The local Tesla installer has been to my home several times trying to find a solution, but he can find no problem with the installation. I have asked the Tela powerwall tech support group to become involved, but have yet to hear back beyond an email stating they will look into my concerns.

the bottom line is this: I am paying the electric utility the same amount each month as I would be if I had no powerwalls. Perhaps some in the community have had similar experiences and, hopefully, have also found a solution. I am open to answering any question that may be asked.

I have posted two screenshots: one of my February electric bill (covering the period Jan 10- Feb 8) and my energy usage for the month of January taken from my Tesla app.
1677437959454.png

1677438375455.png

Last edited:
I am sure every utility is diferent but I know mine would never see any PowerWall power. My utility measures power coming into the home and power back to the grid. Self consumption is never seen or counted. I have to measure myself that that power flow never flows through the meter.

Your billing period and PW data are not aligned, so it isn't possible to compare exactly what your grid usage was. However, according to the PW data, you are still using a lot of grid energy. At the bottom of the screen, it shows 38% was from the grid. Of the total 1133kWh for Februrary, that would be about 431kWh. January likely had lower solar production, so it is certainly possible your grid usage that month was more and closer to the 651kWh on your bill.

From the images you shared:

Your bill was for 654 kWh in January (not sure if this is actually from 1/1 or some other date but close enough).

Your total home usage from the Tesla app as 1572.1 kWh, which according to the image, 49% was from the grid. So 1572 * .49 = 770.28.

Seems pretty close to 654 given that the Tesla app is not meter (billing) grade.

BTW we really need to see the app image from the grid perspective, not the houses.