Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electricity to NH3 (Ammonia): A New (in Lab) Process that Approaches 100% Efficiency

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SageBrush

REJECT Fascism
May 7, 2015
New Mexico

I am usually skeptical to the point of not reading 'new and exciting developments' but this one caught my eye, mostly because it is published in Nature, and because Ammonia has come up over the years as a possibly viable liquid fuel for energy storage

I'd love to hear technical discussion to fill in my knowledge gaps

Scalability ?
Cost ?
Transport ?
Combustion ? Oxidation via Fuel Cell ?
Nitrogen recovery ?

• Informative
Reactions: UkNorthampton
Interesting. I presume the Ammonia is being to combusted. To what, at what efficiency, and with what pollutants ?
NOX as far as I can see, but maybe I'm missing something, and there seem to be scrubbers to then scrub that NOx .......

more on the wider plans, which include methanol as a dual fuel option

I read that the 'green' way to make Ammonia (NH3) is with H2, air and water.
So we are starting with the losses involved in electrolysis of water

Sounds like the attraction is not having to deal with compressed Hydrogen ?

I think ammonia would "only" need 10-20 atmospheres of pressure to store as a liquid.

I assume also because they'd be able to use combustion engines, so there's a known.
But it's 11.38 GJ/m^3 compared to 37.184GJ/m^3 for diesel. More fuel needed.

However, I'm sure they see both the potential for fuel cost reduction, and ease of operation as more ports would allow them in.

I think ammonia would "only" need 10-20 atmospheres of pressure to store as a liquid.

I didn't realize that liquid ammonia had to be kept under pressure since it can be bought in a store, albeit I presume not at 100% purity. This article below says 125 psi -- about 8.5 ATM. Quite a bit less than the 300 -- 700 ATM the industry talks about compressing hydrogen.

A Kg of Ammonia is ~ 6.25 kWh per Google, so the 2014 figures for pipe transport in the US are about 6.25*0.8*E9 kWh = 5.6 TWh annually, just to give some idea of what is currently being moved about.

Oil and Gas Industry Network

Sankara Papavinasam, in Corrosion Control in the Oil and Gas Industry, 2014

2.40 Ammonia pipelines​

Ammonia pipelines have been transporting liquid ammonia for the fertilizer industry for a long time. Ammonia pipelines are used in the oil and gas industry to transport hydrogen. Ammonia gas turns into a liquid at 125 psi (862 kPa) and liquid ammonia is transported in pipelines. At the delivery point, hydrogen gas is liberated from ammonia. Currently there are about 3,000 miles (4,828 kilometer) of 6–8 inch (152-203 mm) diameter carbon steel pipelines in the US which transport about 2 million tons of ammonia per year. This is equivalent to transporting ∼350,000 tons of hydrogen per year. Ammonia pipelines normally operate at 250 psi (1,723 kPa) pressure. Liquid ammonia is non-corrosive and hence internal corrosion is not an issue.

Last edited:

Solar and wind resources are the lowest marginal cost sources of electricity in most of the world today. The dropping costs and near universal availability of wind and solar resources have created an opportunity for the world to synthesize high-volume commodities at competitive prices without carbon emissions,” ReMo explained. “ReMo Energy’s technology makes it possible to produce nitrogen fertilizers and other materials right where they are needed directly from local energy sources.”

Reactions: SageBrush
I didn't realize that liquid ammonia had to be kept under pressure since it can be bought in a store, albeit I presume not at 100% purity...
If I understand your reference correctly, the "ammonia" purchased in a store is a dilute solution of ammonia (gas) dissolved in water: NH3 + H2O ⇌ NH4+ + OH– aka "ammonium hydroxide." A tiny amount of NH3 is present in the solution, which gives it the characteristic ammonia smell. The solution is quite basic, which makes it a good cleaning agent (because it tends to make fats and oils water soluble). FWIW.