Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Confirms that the FSD sneak peak is for car with HW3 only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
.... of course says the Grinch! Lumps of coal for all you 2016, 2017 owners that already PAID for FSD!

Nobody promised anyone a sneak preview of FSD when you bought it. It’s just a bonus for those with HW3. I suspect that if this preview is limited functionality then it only helps the early adopters when they get their retrofit, because Tesla can grab all that data from us HW3 owners early and give pre-HW3 owners the benefit of that knowledge.

He made a commitment to owners. He didn't qualify it when he initially posted it. It's yet another case of Elon overpromising and underdelivering.

Also, the fact that they now have different features for HW3 than for earlier HW means there will be more of a push by users (especially here) to find out when exactly they're getting that upgrade.

What he should've done is not say anything about that feature. But that's not in Elon's nature :p

I'm sure the people who paid thousands of dollars without having received any benefits will be happy to see that others are now receiving bonuses while they continue to get bupkis.

I really don’t know what you expect Tesla to do differently. Would you rather there be no sneak previews for people with HW3? Would you rather nobody get any HW3-specific features until every single FSD-buyer has the HW3 retrofit in their car? Seems a bit...selfish, no?

.... of course says the Grinch! Lumps of coal for all you 2016, 2017 owners that already PAID for FSD!

Sometimes some gifts are available only to some people. In this instance, it appears that Tesla is able to offer an experience to some owners and not tomothwr owners because of technology differences.

It seems the choice was whether to offer it to some people or to no one. Tesla choose to make it available to some.

I have FSD (June 2019 delivery). I haven’t bothered to check whether I have HW2 or HW3. I don’t know whether Canadian Tesla owners with HW3 will get this experience. So I don’t know whether I will get this experience. But I don’t understand begrudging those American Tesla owners who will get the experience.

Nobody promised anyone a sneak preview of FSD when you bought it. It’s just a bonus for those with HW3. I suspect that if this preview is limited functionality then it only helps the early adopters when they get their retrofit, because Tesla can grab all that data from us HW3 owners early and give pre-HW3 owners the benefit of that knowledge.
Actually, Tesla promised me that FSD would be available by the end of 2018 when I bought my 2017 AP2 S90D with AP/FSD (as they were known back then) paid at time of delivery.

And remember, Tesla took the liberty of redefining "full self driving" (downward) several times since from the video demo showing driverless operation that I viewed on their web site prior to placing my order.

What I bought was as promised in the sales video of FSD.

I really don’t know what you expect Tesla to do differently. Would you rather there be no sneak previews for people with HW3? Would you rather nobody get any HW3-specific features until every single FSD-buyer has the HW3 retrofit in their car?
How about for now limiting the "bonuses" to early FSD buyers that have received their upgrade?

Actually, Tesla promised me that FSD would be available by the end of 2018 when I bought my 2017 AP2 S90D with AP/FSD (as they were known back then) paid at time of delivery.

And remember, Tesla took the liberty of redefining "full self driving" (downward) several times since from the video demo showing driverless operation that I viewed on their web site prior to placing my order.

What I bought was as promised in the sales video of FSD.

I’m in a lot later in this game and things have progressed well (in my mind) since I got my car in mid-2019. So I have a very different experience when it comes to FSD promises and expectations.

That said, if what you say is true - it’s hard to argue too much. That said, delays are inevitable, though, and you will get FSD.

I see HW4 causing massive unhappiness

I have HW3 and I'm already pissed about HW4. Those future HW4 guys are jerks.

I'm saving my jealousy for the people who get cameras that function in the rain.

As an example the rear backup camera on my Model 3 is magnitudes of orders better than the backup cameras in my other vehicles. So much so that I think those companies are violating the rear backup camera rule by having such crappy cameras.

But, the Model 3 backup camera still isn't good enough to handle a tiny little 3 day river cloud of constant rain.

I'm saving my jealousy for the people who get cameras that function in the rain.

As an example the rear backup camera on my Model 3 is magnitudes of orders better than the backup cameras in my other vehicles. So much so that I think those companies are violating the rear backup camera rule by having such crappy cameras.

But, the Model 3 backup camera still isn't good enough to handle a tiny little 3 day river cloud of constant rain.

In the rain it's hopeless, especially at night. The headlights just burst off the raindrops on the lens and you can't see anything out the back at all.