Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vertical screen cars on FSD Beta v12.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

azred

Apr 12, 2016
Chandler, AZ
Ok, I know the 2 1/2 old thread about earliest adopters getting FSD Beta still exists but I thought it might be time to track separately the brand new FSD Beta (v12.x and later) for our ancient cars as there is some belief vertical screen cars will never get it. I realize there are still “earliest adopters” waiting for any version of FSD Beta probably because they didn’t buy MCU2 — and so the ancient thread is still relevant. But most of us who have posted in that old thread are at least 18 months into having FSD Beta.

BTW I have a 2023 HW4 Y and of course it is getting regular v12.x updates but my 12/2016 vertical screen S is starting to get an inferiority complex😀 This situation is especially odd since you will recall Musk said last August that HW3 cars would be the focus until v12 was rock solid and that would mean HW4 cars might be 6 months behind HW3 cars. Obviously that isn’t the case and instead our vertical screen HW3 cars are last.

Last edited:
Since legacy MX and MS do not have cabin cameras and FSD V12 is only rolling out to cars that do have them, what is going to he the solution for the 10s of thousands of legacy owners?
We don’t know the reason for our cars to be last. Maybe there is no specific reason or it could be there is a hurdle. For example, it seems to me a more logical reason than lack of cabin cameras would be MCU2 vs MCU3. I don’t think any MCU2 cars have received v12 but maybe I am wrong?

Also, could it have to do with cars that have ultrasonic sensors vs those that do not. Now that my HW4 model Y has the latest v12, the “new” parking assist is active and is of course camera-based. Maybe that is a hurdle for USS cars?

We just don’t know and the best we can do is monitor the situation. I am still optimistic we will get v12 but we also waited a long time to get FSD Beta at all. So we are used to being overlooked, which would be ok if Tesla wasn’t so craptastic about external communication.🙃

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Musskiah
We don’t know the reason for our cars to be last. Maybe there is no specific reason or it could be there is a hurdle. For example, it seems to me a more logical reason than lack of cabin cameras would be MCU2 vs MCU3. I don’t think any MCU2 cars have received v12 but maybe I am wrong?

Also, could it have to do with cars that have ultrasonic sensors vs those that do not. Now that my HW4 model Y has the latest v12, the “new” parking assist is active and is of course camera-based. Maybe that is a hurdle for USS cars?

We just don’t know and the best we can do is monitor the situation. I am still optimistic we will get v12 but we also waited a long time to get FSD Beta at all. So we are used to being overlooked, which would be ok if Tesla wasn’t so craptastic about external communication.🙃
"Craptastic" is such the perfect descriptor! MY 2021 MX is so jealous of my 2022 MY right now... because MX has only 11 while MY measure in at 12. Honestly, they are both workin' with pretty big "versions" if ya catch my drift

Thanks for posting this - I guess im just happy to know or hear that there’s still a chance we get v12…rather than getting confirmation that it will never come to HW3 / MCU2 vertical screen cars due to this interior camera issue or whatever other “craptastic” reason to not allow it on older cars. This was one of the reasons I went for my 2017 P100D, having lifetime FSD and all. Its nice to have a “fully upgraded” Tesla, it just needs this v12 now… cmon Elon.