Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Used car prizes were down when I traded in my model 3
What % down payment did you make, and what was the term of your loan? Others have complained that they got very little difference on their trade in for FSD. I don't know how they determined that, though. Maybe they were erroneously comparing what used model 3s without FSD were selling for vs what Tesla offered them in trade.

Last edited:
Used car prizes were down when I traded in my model 3
Unfortunately you must have sold in July or part of Aug, since those are the only two months in the past 12+ where used car prices have been down. We’re now back up to records. It’s a great time to sell if one has a solid quality used car and can wait till end of Q1/Q2 ‘22, to buy a new car then.

It was June 2020 bro. That’s more than 12 months.
Yeah, well that was indeed the tail end of a recession, so they were certainly lower then.. I guess I’ll qualify (seems to be a regular need, I’m going to have to stop translating from German to English in my head) so 12+ months (with exception of July/Aug 21, and not more than 15 months of consistent price gains in the use car market (as evidenced by the Manheim used car auction pricing calculated monthly). ;-)

Trims are no different than options.
No - you can't get to P from a LR using options.

I initially said I assumed you got credit for FSD, but this option is handled in an unusual way by Tesla. That's why I later said that the only way to know for sure would be to see actual residual values with and without FSD. Everything else is speculation.
Not speculation - just a guess, knowing how leases are structured.

If we search in the model 3/s/x/y orders thread - we can probably find residuals for cras with & without FSD.

ps :

The issue with the lease is some items factor into the residual and some don't. By factoring into the residual, you are only paying for the part that you use. Items like coatings and dealer add-ons do not factor into the residual and are paid in full by the buyer during the term of the lease. FSD is factored into the residual, meaning you're only paying for a percentage of the cost in the lease, not the entire $10K.

In a lease, the residual does apply to FSD. So you are effectively only paying for a percentage of it.

Last edited:
OrderAgreement.jpg

It looks like Mode S Performance was a $21,000 option to a Model S.

The thesaurus give guess as a synonym for speculation.

Please do try to find that informatioin. Like I said I don't have any conviction one way or the other.

The structure of lease doesn't tell you how they came to a conclusion on the residual value. Your contention is that if they have determined that a base model 3 has a residual of 60%, then so does FSD. This makes no sense. If the wholesalers find that cars with FSD attached aren't selling for more than the base mode, they aren't going to pay the leasing companies more for those cars. So the leasing company won't increase the residual on the lease. I'm not saying this is the current situation, but this is how it works in general. Otherwise, the leasing company would be loosing the $6000 credit they gave you for FSD when they liquidate the car. The residual they quote on your lease is an average of the residual values of the components that make up the car. It's just a parameter they use to calculate the depreciation part of the lease payment. It's a simplification, along with the money factor that is a simplification of the actual interest you pay.

It looks like Mode S Performance was a $21,000 option to a Model S.
Doesn’t matter how the invoice looks like. In the design studio you have to first pick the trim and whatever options are available for the trim. That’s how other OEMs work too.

You should contact the poster of the quotes I included for any further information on FSD and residuals. I’ve no interest in digging into this further.

Doesn’t matter how the invoice looks like. In the design studio you have to first pick the trim and whatever options are available for the trim. That’s how other OEMs work too.

You should contact the poster of the quotes I included for any further information on FSD and residuals. I’ve no interest in digging into this further.
So you're saying that the documents that you sign don't matter. It's what the button looks like on the web page that adds the options to your order agreement.
OK.

• Funny
Reactions: Ramphex
I can wait on the unprotected left turns. My top 1 request right now is to fix the forsaken braking. I feel like 90% of the time the refresh MS brakes on FSD as if it was about to bowl a strike with 10 nuns crossing the road. 99% of my manual driving braking is regen, I hope FSD 10.4 could also start taking advantage of regen.

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS