Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right! Someone needs to tweet Elon about the situation…
Plus it is much easier to game the system to be the worst driver than the best driver.

I think it should be more based on attentiveness with current FSD. Not great as I know there are a lot of people that have issues with it not detecting their hands on the wheel even when they do. It would make more sense to me how well you monitor the current FSD is more representative of how you will monitor FSD beta vs how I drive when not using FSD features.

Elon says the way the safety score is calculated is fluid. Will be changing over time.
Theory:
  1. Tesla will monitor near misses and collect the data.
  2. Will go back and look at driving style, camera, etc... Might even look at road info, such as speed limit.
  3. Create a computer model / machine learning model that predicts near misses and collisions.
  4. If you get a low score or high probability of near miss, get booted from beta. Later might disengage beta real time.
Wouldn’t you think they’d want to use the RV mirror camera to monitor attentiveness during autopilot drives?

Plus it is much easier to game the system to be the worst driver than the best driver.

I think it should be more based on attentiveness with current FSD. Not great as I know there are a lot of people that have issues with it not detecting their hands on the wheel even when they do. It would make more sense to me how well you monitor the current FSD is more representative of how you will monitor FSD beta vs how I drive when not using FSD features.

Wouldn’t you think they’d want to use the RV mirror camera to monitor attentiveness during autopilot drives?

I think they will use cameras only monitoring soonish if it's reliable. They'll definitely want to beat the OEMs to market before the "hands free" features get rolled out to more mainstream cars within the Ford and GM fleets.

I think this will solve the issue that kaffine brought up with being able to actively monitor the situation instead of worrying about lightly tugging the wheel and hoping it was enough to register and avoid the blue warning.

Whether it will be reliable enough is another question. Not to mention there are a ton of S/X vehicles on the road that lack the cabin camera.

As far as the scoring system, as others have pointed out, I think it's just as much about telling the team about your environment as it is about your driving. I live in a small city with not too much traffic, it's much easier for me to make slow turns and keep my distance on daily commutes than it is for a lot of you who live in more populated areas and have rush hour traffic, etc. Watching the existing videos, I've thought for awhile that FSD would be capable of doing 95%+ of my drives with zero interventions.

Reactions: edseloh and aronth5
From the videos people are sharing, V10.1 isn't giving me warm fuzzies. Maybe this NN is a fast learner, but it feels like it is in Jr High School and isn't going to graduate to HS. I hope I get amazed by how fast it can learn with a boatload of new "miles driven" starts pouring in.

Yes, the release is now pushed back to next Friday, instead of today as originally announced.
But the million dollar question is whether Tesla will use the safety score for the 7 days prior to 10/8 to determine who will get the beta or whether it will use the 14 day period (dating back to the first availability of the button).

What about our evaluation period? Will it now be 14 days instead of 7?

But the million dollar question is whether Tesla will use the safety score for the 7 days prior to 10/8 to determine who will get the beta or whether it will use the 14 day period (dating back to the first availability of the button).
These are good questions and the first thought is it would be 14 days but until we read any of Elon's post on twitter, it's only speculations. After reading about some of the scores that people have been getting, it's probably in their favor to have 14 days. Then for the few that are sitting at 100, it's now time to face the real road score music.

I think that was a mistake - thats why he quickly corrected (I guess someone in the team pointed that out).
It reminds me of the signs saying "Free Beer Tomorrow". In Germany they like to say "Free Beer was Yesterday". Ours is more hopeful, while Germany's sort of makes you sad. FSD 10.x will come one of these Fridays.

It reminds me of the signs saying "Free Beer Tomorrow". In Germany they like to say "Free Beer was Yesterday". Ours is more hopeful, while Germany's sort of makes you sad. FSD 10.x will come one of these Fridays.
As I bet a long time back - I'll get city NOA in my city earlier than Waymo deploys in my city. Thats all that matters to me ;)

ps : from 2019.

Tesla has freeway NOA that works fairly well. Waymo doesn't work in my city.

I bet we'll get City NOA on Tesla before Waymo works in my city.

I guess we have to add this one to the list, though it has been posted elsewhere already.

Screen Shot 2021-10-03 at 10.28.06 PM.png