Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But, EVs are so advanced my avatar was built around 1,900 ;)

ps: It’s a mystery why Tesla was so reluctant to add waypoints.

Pretty sure they were at the mercy of the nav/routing 3rd party they're using. they prolly lacked the api endpoints for waypoint support. So Tesla implementing waypoints was more of a "nag the 3rd party to support waypoints" so they could add the functionality to their UI.

Pretty sure they were at the mercy of the nav/routing 3rd party they're using. they prolly lacked the api endpoints for waypoint support. So Tesla implementing waypoints was more of a "nag the 3rd party to support waypoints" so they could add the functionality to their UI.

Nope.

They've been using valhalla and mapbox for routing for years now.

And those guys have supported waypoints for years- just like every other routing and GPS solution except probably Tesla has for many years.

In fact Valhalla advertises they do travelling salesman multi-routing optimization- something Tesla still doesn't do even after adding waypoints.

What exactly is "explicit photon count" ? (ps : and how do you do it without hardware change ?)

The CleanTechnica article has a big mistake in the headline. It says "switching from lidar to vision-only". That's wrong. Tesla never used lidar on their cars. Tesla switched from vision+radar to vision-only. That is some sloppy work from CleanTechnica.

And there is it… the tweet that comes way after the expected timeline that it’s still coming, sometime later than planned! 🤣
I know you like to be critical but seriously his tweet is "Way after"!
If Elon's "probably" Tuesday ends up being Thursday or Friday that's not too bad and pretty much what many people expected the timeline to be.

Reactions: jebinc
I know you like to be critical but seriously his tweet is "Way after"!
If Elon's "probably" Tuesday ends up being Thursday or Friday that's not too bad and pretty much what many people expected the timeline to be.
It won’t be Thursday or Friday if there are bugs. We’ve seen it before. When there is an issue with a build like 10.6, it took almost a week for 10.6.1 to start getting delivered. First they take two days to roll out the initial release, then pause, then take a couple days to fix, then ship to internal testers again, then after a little while roll out to group A, then the rest

• Love
Reactions: jebinc
"Pure vision, especially when using explicit photon count, is much better than radar+vision, as the latter has too much ambiguity – when radar & vision disagree, it is not clear which one to believe"-- Elon Musk.

This is pretty appalling. They don't know which one is correct so they'll just pick one. I would think that they could measure the variance of each and weight them accordingly. He's not saying that vision is better, just that they can't handle the difference.

This argues for a third method (lidar), so that you can choose the two values amongst the three that agree the most, unless you have some definite error bounds on vision alone. But Musk said that "... it is not clear which one to believe." This implies that vision isn't any more accurate than radar which is at odds with his previous statements.

It won’t be Thursday or Friday if there are bugs. We’ve seen it before. When there is an issue with a build like 10.6, it took almost a week for 10.6.1 to start getting delivered. First they take two days to roll out the initial release, then pause, then take a couple days to fix, then ship to internal testers again, then after a little while roll out to group A, then the rest
Still a mystery why there are still people on 10.5 like me (or earlier)