Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon in Munich on Jan 30, 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right now we're not looking at adapting AWD into the Model S.

Ah crap. I think they're missing a market there. That's the one thing that would tempt me to upgrade my S. I don't want an X, but I would sure love to have AWD.

Elon: We're going to do something on the Roadster, which I think will be pretty cool, but it'll be more towards the end of the year than the beginning. (Resources focused on Model S right now).

Curious. Not holding my breath on it happening this year, whatever it is. In any case, "towards the end of the year" equates to "Tessie stored for the winter".

Responding to a question on Super Charger speed.

Elon: We're going to work super hard to maximise the charging rate. Right now we're not going to do anything dangerous.....We're super committed to high speed charging. Right now it's 120kw....will increase to 135kw.

Did he just say 135kw level for superchargers in most of Germany?

he said that at the last Munich event. Nothing new here. But to answer your question, yes. AFAIK I thought EU already had 135kW charging at all the stations...

Elon: Gen III will have the same free supercharging as the model S/X.

That's actually big news and good to know. There has been much speculation about this but now we know for sure that Gen III supercharging will be free to use.

Elon: Announcement probably in the summer on auto-pilot.....

so much for holding off on any more announcements until later. basically announcing what your announcement is going to be about sort of gives it away... dohhhh

Summary of the paraphrased points:

Elon: with savings from gas & taxes, net financing cost ~E500 per month.

Elon: All of Germany covered with Superchargers by end of summer 2014.

Elon: Open to additional "for pay" superchargers.

Elon: Leasing cost 500-600 Euros

Elon: we're working on version 6.0 of Firmware and will be significant, lots of exciting things in it. (jokes about saving some announcements for other stops on the trip)

Elon confirmed suspension lowering with v 6.0 AND will be adjustable about when transition occurs (what speed...)

Germans saying: "It's a great car, we love it!"

Elon (On why Gen III is 3 years away): We have to earn our way towards the necessary capital for equipment, and we need to build the battery factory. Significant design work still needed to make the car easier to build.

JB: We don't need to invent anything new, it just take time.

JB (On AWD Model X, misheard question to be about Model S): Not giving too much away; but will be the best AWD in the world with exciting possibilities in traction control, stability control etc. Right now we're not looking at adapting AWD into the Model S.

Elon: We're going to do something on the Roadster, which I think will be pretty cool, but it'll be more towards the end of the year than the beginning. (Resources focused on Model S right now).

Elon (On Supercharging speed in Germany): We're going to work super hard to maximise the charging rate. Right now we're not going to do anything dangerous.....We're super committed to high speed charging. Right now it's 120kw....will increase to 135kw.

Elon: Gen III will have the same free supercharging as the model S/X.

Elon: Announcement probably in the summer on auto-pilot.....

Like others, I missed a couple minutes n the middle which seemed to be related to specific SC locations in Germany; feel free to add if I missed anything important.

I think Elon is well aware that the SC network either in Europe or US, will be to small in in 4-5 years, My assumption is that they will also need to add more Chargers er station, So while right now its 6-8 per Stop ,in 4-5 years they will need 20-30 chargers per stop or people will freak out in peak times, (weekends, holidays)

To bad Model S won't get 4WD anytime soon.

I think charge speeds will increase when they switch to the new 4ah batteries. I imagine there is a limit to what the current packs (HW) can take, and they can only tune the SW so much. So I would not be surprised if any higher speeds will require a new battery revision. Also, if they introduce higher capacity packs, they will need quicker charging too, right? But I don't expect that either on the current pack revision. (Just my 2 cents)

And, yes, a big shout out to Nik for streaming and you guys for posting here. I was (am) on a 2 hour conf call so could not watch the stream all the way, but was able to follow your posts.