Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon in Munich on Jan 30, 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow. That was a question I would have asked, too. I think long term that is going to have a huge impact on demand.
The SC network is their seceret weapon. This is the "killer app". Everyone is focused on Gen3, bigger battery packs for S and X, but when Model E comes out in 3 years and they'll say: "oh, and by the way, we have 500 SCs around the world and you can use them for free, recharge to 50% in 5 minutes" that will be the final nail in the coffin for the ICE.

The SC network is their seceret weapon. This is the "killer app". Everyone is focused on Gen3, bigger battery packs for S and X, but when Model E comes out in 3 years and they'll say: "oh, and by the way, we have 500 SCs around the world and you can use them for free, recharge to 50% in 5 minutes" that will be the final nail in the coffin for the ICE.

Exactly! Even if a true MS competitor eventually (big if, I know) hits the market it will not have a comparable fast charging network.

I think charge speeds will increase when they switch to the new 4ah batteries. I imagine there is a limit to what the current packs (HW) can take, and they can only tune the SW so much. So I would not be surprised if any higher speeds will require a new battery revision. Also, if they introduce higher capacity packs, they will need quicker charging too, right? But I don't expect that either on the current pack revision. (Just my 2 cents)

And, yes, a big shout out to Nik for streaming and you guys for posting here. I was (am) on a 2 hour conf call so could not watch the stream all the way, but was able to follow your posts.

I think if they increase the cell count, so lets say double as much cells, they should be able to charge twice as fast so 270kw, but Im not sure if there are other limiting factors for the future, like the supercharger cable is to thin for such a high power.

Elon said it already that they are working on 500miles batteries so that would be interesting to know if the can pack a higher charge rate with that battery.

I think if they increase the cell count, so lets say double as much cells, they should be able to charge twice as fast so 270kw, but Im not sure if there are other limiting factors for the future, like the supercharger cable is to thin for such a high power.

Elon said it already that they are working on 500miles batteries so that would be interesting to know if the can pack a higher charge rate with that battery.

Would be very cool to know the theoretical upper limit for the charge port inlet with both the US (2 highpower pins) and EU (Type 2 with high power distributed over 4 pins) type inlet. My guess it maxes out somewhere around 150kW???

One thing I found confusing,

when asked what he sees 10 years down the road, Elon said 300 km EVs as a minimum, 400 km as typical. if he was talking about Tesla specifically, I wonder if he meant miles. perhaps he was talking about EVs from all automakers and thinks that's what the industry as a whole will be offering. perhaps this will be clarified in the next few days from Tesla (more store events, interviews with press...), but I'm curious what you all thought Elon meant.

fwiw, he also said he sees 25% of new cars produced EVs in 10 years... that would be a huge achievement.

on free supercharging for Gen III, I heard Elon saying that is the philosophy the company intends to be able to be consistent in delivering (and fwiw I think they will). This is very encouraging to hear, but I wouldn't categorize it as an announcement of a their Gen III supercharging policy.

Can someone tell me what the comment about 22kW charging and hardware fix means??? Does it meant that if you want to charge at 3x32A instead of 3x26A they need to do a physical fix? That would suck moose balls for me being so far away from SC :(

JB definitely said it's a hardware fix that's needed. I believe it's the that issue although I'm not familiar enough with the problem to know if that's definitively the same thing you're talking about.

Elon said it already that they are working on 500miles batteries

When did he say that? I hope they aren't. 500 miles is completely unnecessary. In fact, I am fairly sure every executive comment I've heard has been that they *aren't* working on a 500 mile battery. Elon has said that it would be possible to make a 500 mile car right now, but that it would be terrible, because it would be nothing but batteries and cost a fortune. This will always be the case with a 500 mile vs. a ~200 mile car. The 500 mile will need probably three times as many batteries, which means the battery is three times more expensive, the car is 50% heavier, etc. etc. etc. And it would give exactly *zero* additional utility when superchargers are taken into account, or maybe like .05% additional utility when they aren't (given that probably less than .05% of vehicles are driven in the 200-500 mile range on a daily basis).

SteveG3 said:
when asked what he sees 10 years down the road, Elon said 300 km EVs as a minimum, 400 km as typical. if he was talking about Tesla specifically, I wonder if he meant miles. perhaps he was talking about EVs from all automakers and thinks that's what the industry as a whole will be offering. perhaps this will be clarified in the next few days from Tesla (more store events, interviews with press...), but I'm curious what you all thought Elon meant.

I am certain he meant km and not miles, for the reasons mentioned above. And because he knows the difference and has changed from miles->kms when in Europe before. It's not a tough conversion to do on the fly either since he does it all the time. I think he may have been talking about Tesla specifically, because my prognostication device tells me that other manufacturers will settle on less range than that as typical.

Last edited:
Mario - no ranger service in Estonia yet?

I've used it, but it wouldn't be a free fix :/ plane tickets, hotel stays etc...

- - - Updated - - -

LOL, you should get that trademarked, Mario!

Not originally from me ;) but can't remember who said it first either ;)

- - - Updated - - -

JB definitely said it's a hardware fix that's needed. I believe it's the that issue although I'm not familiar enough with the problem to know if that's definitively the same thing you're talking about.

That would explain why they've been reluctant on timelines... *sigh*

One thing I found confusing,

fwiw, he also said he sees 25% of new cars produced EVs in 10 years... that would be a huge achievement.

on free supercharging for Gen III, I heard Elon saying that is the philosophy the company intends to be able to be consistent in delivering (and fwiw I think they will). This is very encouraging to hear, but I wouldn't categorize it as an announcement of a their Gen III supercharging policy.

Yes, 25 percent seems WAY out of reach. 10 years is roughly 1.5 major product cycles at the big automakers. Considering that the majority of them don't have any serious electric program right now, expecting one or more to launch a series of models in the next 1 or 2 product cycles that will capture 25 percent of the market seems...unrealistic.