TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Elon Musk named co-chair for non-profit firm researching AI

Discussion in 'News' started by S'toon, Dec 11, 2015.

1. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Full article at:
    http://www.rawstory.com/2015/12/teslas-elon-musk-named-co-chair-for-non-profit-firm-researching-artificial-intelligence/

2. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

#2 ohmman, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  3. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

Great - because clearly Mr Musk isn't stretched thin enough and needs more distractions... :-(

4. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

I had same that thought, but reading the article, Elon says this had been something that was bothering him and that it was worth the time spent. Hard to argue with that. I'm happy at least he let the Hyperloop idea be developed by others.

5. Auzie

Auzie Tree Hugger Member

Thanks for the links, interesting interview. I find it interesting that this initiative seems to be an attempt to prevent AI abuse, or to prevent the concentration of AI in the hands of entities that already have disproportionate power in society. Quite noble and altruistic.

I like the proposed concept of empowering individuals with AI. Personal empowerment improves quality of life. Power to the people!

It could be said that AI is a form of power. Its misuse is similar to a misuse of any other power, it leads to someone being abused or killed, in the extreme.

Root causes of power misuses or abuses are far more complex than a notion of bad people, tough selfish motives seem to be prevalent.

Often people get trapped in scenarios in which they have conflicting interests, hence, they get set up against each other, like gladiators in the ring, taken to an extreme. Once there, they fight, using weaponry at their disposal.

AI will likely move these fights to a different level. I do not see such future as frightening, just different.