TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Theory: Autopilot is test project for Musk's investment in AI company Vicarious

Discussion in 'Model S' started by calisnow, Nov 4, 2015.

1. calisnow

calisnow Member

Oct 11, 2014
    Los Angeles
    #1 calisnow, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
    I suppose that post title is too strong - I don't mean to imply that Autopilot exists to provide data for Vicarious. I'm merely wondering if it might be possible Vicarious is involved with the development of Autopilot, since Elon is a stakeholder in Vicarious.

We now know two things, according to the CEO of Mobileye in two recent presentations - one of which was his Q3 2015 earnings conference call:

1 - Neural network deep learning is being used with Autopilot - and at least some of that expertise is coming from Mobileye.
    2 - Tesla is engaged in some kind of their own fleet learning project with data they are *not* sharing with Mobileye.

And we know a third thing.

3 - Musk is an early stage investor - along with Zuckerberg and a host of other power players in an AI company called Vicarious, whose stated goal is to build a generalized artificial intelligence using neural networks.

Vicarious is in the stage of doing fundamental research, apparently.

So - might it be possible that Autopilot is providing data and research experience for the computer scientists at Vicarious?

"Vicarious is building a single, unified system that will eventually be generally intelligent like a human. That means a machine that will be able to make sense of the world around it, building a complex and nuanced model of reality based on past experience and current sensory data,” said founder and computer scientist Scott Phoenix."
  2. Vitold

Vitold Member

Aug 10, 2015
    Meh, it's been done before, the answer is 42. On a serious note, system that relies on limited sensory data to make complex and nuanced model of reality sound like a recipe for disaster...or emulation of average voter.