Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk Recode Interview 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moving forward:

I agree that there has not been enough effort put into optimizing *surface* construction, which has even-lower-hanging-fruit than tunnelling. Perhaps Musk is starting to notice this?

I agree. Twenty years after full autonomy is achieved many cities will outlaw human drivers. Why isn't the guy promising FSD next year interested in public surface transportation?

Musk isn't particularly interested in mass transit. He's interested in digging a tunnel from his house to Space X and the airport.

• Funny
Reactions: fmonera and STARR X
Great if you're pro tech and want to get the planet onto green tech, but if you will accept marrying a genocist worthwhile, there are ethical problems there and more to be feared to come to light.

Read/listen again what Elon said:

It’s very important for the future of the world. It’s very important for all life on Earth. This supersedes political parties, race, creed, religion, it doesn’t matter. If we do not solve the environment, we’re all damned.

Reactions: neroden and EinSV
I will also say, my fear with a Tesla e-bike is that it ends up being a sheer branding exercise - Tesla slapping their name on a generic mediocre e-bike that they sell through the Tesla Shop at a significant markup as a lifestyle accessory (much like the charging bank or the surfboard, or Boring Company's not-a-flamethrower).

To put a finer point on it, every Tesla that is put onto the road decreases the geopolitical leverage of Saudi Arabia, so that ultimately the West doesn't have to have Saudi Arabia as such a close ally and doesn't have to turn a blind eye to places like Yemen.

Musk isn't particularly interested in mass transit. He's interested in digging a tunnel from his house to Space X and the airport.

That's how it started, but now it's much more serious. I expect The Boring Company to have huge effect in the very near future.
Don't forget that Elon already invested more than $100m in the company. He is damn serious about it, but as with TSLA, the impacted companies will start paying attention after their death sentence is already signed.

To put a finer point on it, every Tesla that is put onto the road decreases the geopolitical leverage of Saudi Arabia, so that ultimately the West doesn't have to have Saudi Arabia as such a close ally and doesn't have to turn a blind eye to places like Yemen.
Saudi Airlines is not title sponsoring Formula E. They want into the green vibes to appear to balance out the WWII levels of bad news they're generating.
I refuse to accept that only satan and its servants are willing to fund a better future for humanity.

Musk specifically calling it a midsize SUV is interesting - midsize SUV means things like the Explorer, Pilot, and Highlander are the non-luxury competition, and those are solidly three-row. (Midsize luxury SUVs are often two-row though.)

Also, interesting that Tesla might do an electric bicycle. Depending on how good (and stealthy) it is, I might actually buy that (automaker-branded bicycles tend to be mediocre branding exercises, or some impractical demoware of carbon fiber technology or something, rather than actually good bicycles, though...) even though it's illegal to actually use here in Ohio (although some municipalities are warming up to them - the scooter sharing backlash caused Columbus to actually legalize and regulate e-bikes and e-scooters within municipal limits).

Explorer, pilot, and Highlander I would not consider mid-size . Midsize corresponding analogies from yours would be edge, CRV, and RAV4. while google classes them as 'midsize' after reading car mags , monthly for a couple decades, i would beg to differ from the Omnipotent google and feel Musk probably meant non-3 row.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
On the e-bicyles, the ride share thing might actually tie into that to an extent. If bicycle ownership is on the way out, the bikes would be an interesting way to integrate into people's lives more, even those who take the bus or subway like an actual huge part of global society.
Now, a FSD bicycle would actually be something. Finds its way home to a charger/pickup point or is there in front of your door when you order it a few minutes in advance... With a rider, it would be passive as controlling a person takes a lot of mass and/or energy.

She constantly interrupted Elon, for one.
Looked to me like she cut him short every time an answer either eluded her or wasn't going to bring her a worthwhile headline.

Let's see what Ryan McCaffrey can bring to the table.

As she said in the interview, they've been friends for over 20 years. Just how they converse, I think. He sounded more comfortable with her than Rogan, for example. A lot more ground covered in this interview than most.

It's crazy how people are misinterpreting the interview. No, she didn't "constantly interrupt" him; they were having a supportive and friendly conversation. In a minimum-of-pauses or "avoid dead air" conversational style.

Some of you have a different conversational style, a "high-pause" or "never have two people talking at once" style. That's not their style. Read Deborah Tannen's _That's Not What I Meant_ and _You Just Don't Understand_ if you want to have a clue. Or you could stick with the transcript if you don't want to be *misled* by your *misreading* of intonations and conversational style.

The research on this is over 20 years old. Sometimes it feels like nobody ever learns anything...