Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Says 10% off Solar and Powerwalls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you all seen this article?
Elon tweeted that he's lowing the price on solar and powerwalls by 10%
Tesla reduces Solar + home battery pricing following California blackouts

Has anyone actually gotten this price reduction in writing from Tesla?
It's a little unclear if the price reduction applies to solar AND powerwalls or if you have to get it as a package.

I would love to get 10% off a powerwall install on my current PV system.

Reactions: morbidz
For what its worth, I have a powerwall only project (2 powerwalls actually) on order as of October 9th. I called today to see if I could get the 10% discount applied to my order, and was told that it was only for "solar + powerwall orders" and "we have been getting a lot of questions about that".

My energy advisor has been very prompt with information, and has been knowledgable during our discussions, so I believe him. Wanted to update the thread because I am sure I am not the only one who was looking at / ordering a powerwall system to pair with existing solar, who was wondering if we would get that discount.

For what its worth, I have a powerwall only project (2 powerwalls actually) on order as of October 9th. I called today to see if I could get the 10% discount applied to my order, and was told that it was only for "solar + powerwall orders" and "we have been getting a lot of questions about that".

My energy advisor has been very prompt with information, and has been knowledgable during our discussions, so I believe him. Wanted to update the thread because I am sure I am not the only one who was looking at / ordering a powerwall system to pair with existing solar, who was wondering if we would get that discount.
Exactly my question and I got the same from my advisor Tesla Justin.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Considering that the PW2 was $5,500 and the gateway was $700 last year at one point, this is somewhat good news. (No more SGIP in northern CA now, and less FITC next year). Will they update the site soon?

Im kicking myself for not doing it earlier when those were the prices. I was thinking about it, but was not sure I was going to stay in this house that long so decided against it.

The PW2 is now 6500 and the gateway is 1100. Install is 2500 for 2 powerwalls (was probably cheaper then as well?). I just ordered and the beginning of October, and am now hoping to have it installed by the end of this year.

I am at the "tesla submit for permits" stage, which is past the "design" stage. My install should be easy for tesla to do, since they have all my drawings etc from doing my solar city solar install.

Im kicking myself for not doing it earlier when those were the prices. I was thinking about it, but was not sure I was going to stay in this house that long so decided against it.

The PW2 is now 6500 and the gateway is 1100. Install is 2500 for 2 powerwalls (was probably cheaper then as well?). I just ordered and the beginning of October, and am now hoping to have it installed by the end of this year.

I am at the "tesla submit for permits" stage, which is past the "design" stage. My install should be easy for tesla to do, since they have all my drawings etc from doing my solar city solar install.

what size system and how much was estimate?

what size system and how much was estimate?

Powerwalls from tesla cost the same in the US as far as I know, the only difference is taxes (if you are buying from tesla).

Each powerwall is 6500. I am getting 2 so thats 13,000
The gateway is 1100
They are charging 500 for permits
Tesla charges 2500 for installing 2 powerwalls. 1 Powerwall is 3000, 3 powerwalls is 4000. I was told this covers "most" installations.
Taxes.

So mine is 13,000 + 1100 + 500 + 2500 + taxes.

(powerwall 2 only installation, to add to existing solar that was installed in 2015).

• Helpful
Reactions: GenSao
Considering that the PW2 was $5,500 and the gateway was $700 last year at one point, this is somewhat good news. (No more SGIP in northern CA now, and less FITC next year). Will they update the site soon?

I am amazed on how much prices went up. Back in July 2017, the quotes I got were:

Powerwall + Backup Gateway + Permit Fees + Taxes = Total Cost
1X PW : $ 5,500 + $ 700 + $ 150 + $ 800 + $ 542 = $ 7,693
2X PW : $ 11,000 + $ 700 + $ 150 + $ 900 + $ 1,024 = $ 13,774

I hoped to qualify for SGIP Step 3, but i did not get in to any step. I believe Tesla dropped the ball on this, despite my periodic prodding.

In this case Tesla's are an appreciating asset... err... cost. =)