Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon tweets some tech announcements coming next year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
"Cybertruck is our last product unveil for a while, but there will be some (mostly) unexpected technology announcements next year"
Elon Musk on Twitter

Any thoughts on what these technological announcements might be? I am thinking battery breakthroughs will be one. The plaid performance will most likely be the other.

I hope for:

1- PowerWall improvements, larger capacity for given size
2- Solar Tuscan roof tiles finally available
3- Adjustable motorized head restraints
4- SuperCharger snake nozzles to automatically connect/disconnect from car’s charging ports
5- AutoPark works for me, ever
6- HW 3.0 upgrade will actually be HW 4.0
7- Finally, the built-in kegerator option

- The cybertruck has an AC power outlet. I'd like to see that option for the 3 - e.g., for a power tool or an induction cooktop.
- The air conditioner is a heat pump that pumps heat from the interior to the outside air. For winter driving, I'd like to see it configured to pump heat the other way - from the outside air to the interior and/or the battery. That could be substantially more efficient (in terms of BTUs delivered per kWh received from the battery) than ordinary resistance heaters.

Despite what we think we know about the Model Y, there's lots we don't know.
Especially about the suspension, even though the odds are that it'll have a variant of the suspension of the Model 3.
Interesting. I was thinking more in the line of the Model S adjustable air suspension. Oh, and I am not the least little bit interested in a Y. The Model 3 barely fits into the garage bay as it is. I should have 18" on either side but that doesn't seem to be the case.

"Cybertruck is our last product unveil for a while, but there will be some (mostly) unexpected technology announcements next year"
Elon Musk on Twitter

Any thoughts on what these technological announcements might be? I am thinking battery breakthroughs will be one. The plaid performance will most likely be the other.

The fact that he calls the technology announcements "unexpected" tells me they have inside information on more than one front that is largely unknown. That probably explains the very low and unexpected pricing of the Cybertruck. This bodes well for a quicker transition to sustainable energy.

No wonder Musk seems so happy these days!

• Getting closer to FSD
Yes, upon reflection AND consistent with his Investors Day announcement I suspect he will announce the public beta of FSD. Neither (E)AP or FSD can be GA until there is regulatory approval. That is likely not anywhere near imminent as regulators are still, wrongfully, concerned about people sleeping while driving. It's clickbait! One can not fall asleep while driving. But it's enough to concern regulators seeing the staged at sleep drivers.
If, as in the Ark interview, he is repeating 100% certainty FSD will be out of development by 2020, it stands to reason it will be public beta by, I'm guessing, mid year.
Ready for incoming in 3...2...1...

Reactions: diplomat33
Yes, upon reflection AND consistent with his Investors Day announcement I suspect he will announce the public beta of FSD. Neither (E)AP or FSD can be GA until there is regulatory approval. That is likely not anywhere near imminent as regulators are still, wrongfully, concerned about people sleeping while driving. It's clickbait! One can not fall asleep while driving. But it's enough to concern regulators seeing the staged at sleep drivers.
If, as in the Ark interview, he is repeating 100% certainty FSD will be out of development by 2020, it stands to reason it will be public beta by, I'm guessing, mid year.
Ready for incoming in 3...2...1...

No, I think what you wrote makes sense. We know Tesla has some sort of "feature complete" FSD in internal development running on the FSD computer. Now, Tesla will miss the deadline to release that software by end of this year. But I don't think it is totally unrealistic that they could release a public beta of the "feature complete" FSD sometime next year.

No, I think what you wrote makes sense. We know Tesla has some sort of "feature complete" FSD in internal development running on the FSD computer. Now, Tesla will miss the deadline to release that software by end of this year. But I don't think it is totally unrealistic that they could release a public beta of the "feature complete" FSD sometime next year.
We don't know if what is running in his personal car and 200 employee's personal car is out of development. It might be but as they have been testing it all year 'feature complete' and employees of tesla running it are mutually exclusive. Tesla never said it would be out in the wild this year, merely feature complete. Feature complete is a software development term meaning development has passed it to QA. In the whole scheme of things that is a nit.
I believe it was still last winter Tesla put out the call for the second round of employees that wanted to test FSD. So, it's been in testing for over a year now. It absolutely exists. So what does feature complete mean from the perspective of us users. I do not believe it means fully trained.So the software is what to do when a situation occurs then there is what identifies that situation. So what does it need to do that it doesn't already do?
1) Recognize stop signs - I believe @verygreen has shown that to be largely functioning. There are a lot of flavors of stop signs/signals so that is in the camp of recognizing your stop signal. Difficult for people at times

2) Initiate a left turn and partial left turn, right turn and partial right turn

3) recognize pedestrians

4) recognize bike lanes

5) recognize double parked cars

Something else @diplomat33 points out is they need to do a full court press to add HW3 to all owners who purchased FSD.. It's possible that when individual cars get HW3 upgrade they get the beta of FSD. My service center did tell me when the FSD computer is installed there is special software that must get loaded with it. Hmmmm. I am hopeful the people who bought FSD in 2018 get FSD software before the people who ordered a car in 2019.

Reactions: pilotSteve
500+ mile range for pickup truck and roadster-- diametrically opposed vehicles in terms of weight and cD as well as utility. How are they doing this? Is this not shocking in itself? Model 3 plaid tri motor setup running the 'ring at 7 minutes (or close to it) is also remarkable, and eye opening. Its not just a diffuserand track tires. The pickup has huge wheels and tires, increasing rotational weight/mass. What is different about the motor(s), battery, wiring, speed controller, charger, inverter, etc?

In addition to Battery and Powertrain Investor Day, which I believe is slated for Q1 2020, there may be a second Autonomy Investor Day in 2020. I believe Elon mentioned Tesla was thinking of making it an annual thing.

That would be great if Tesla did another Autonomy Investor Day to update us on the latest. And hopefully, next year, Tesla will be closer to real autonomy.