Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was starting to lose hope of ever getting a beer from @AlanSubie4Life. With this and the next version of FSD predicted to be nearly perfect things have really turned around.
Successfully trolling the US government to this degree would certainly be a signature Musk achievement.

The cost would be very high for Musk for his epic troll though. Being forced to divest…:eek:

Seems pretty speculative but we’ll see!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
From Trump to Kanye and Musk: why are the super-rich buying social media sites? | Joan Donovan

It’s the latest expression of an uncomfortable truth: tech CEOs have become the most crucial political gatekeepers in modern media history. Not by running for office – a cliche for today’s moneyed elite – but by using social media ownership as a proxy for political influence.

Musk, and other new platform owners, not only influence what information gets shared. They could also remove guardrails on the ways platforms are used to move money. No doubt whatever Twitter morphs into, it will include some form of digital cash exchange as another way to undermine the power of governments. If you don’t believe me, remember that Wells Fargo carried packages before it turned into a bank. Further, politicians turning to tech companies for support begins with political messaging and could easily morph into political donations of another sort: from silencing opponents and amplifying preferred candidates to sowing confusion during moments of crisis.

It is now though, so seems that people think there is something to this! So many twists and turns! Maybe you’ll get a beer!

Would be very bad for Elon if this happens though (surprised TSLA is not tumbling…guess people haven’t though it through…or I am missing something).
I don't think it's a big risk to TSLA. Many will want in on the equity. It may actually benefit Musk if he prefers to have an excuse to kick out Saudi money from the deal, for instance.

I don't think it's a big risk to TSLA. Many will want in on the equity. It may actually benefit Musk if he prefers to have an excuse to kick out Saudi money from the deal, for instance.
I guess I don’t see (in the worst case) Elon being forced to divest after the deal is closed as being better than him keeping it. Maybe it would be less of a distraction in spite of the $25B-$30B loss. Just seems like lots of unknowns.

Just not sure all the possibilities. Depends on whether anything happens, and what the problem identified is. Anyway Elon has to purchase no matter what. May just not be able to own it (seems unlikely to me that would be prohibited but who knows).

• Informative
I guess I don’t see (in the worst case) Elon being forced to divest after the deal is closed as being better than him keeping it. Maybe it would be less of a distraction in spite of the $25B-$30B loss. Just seems like lots of unknowns.

Just not sure all the possibilities. Depends on whether anything happens, and what the problem identified is. Anyway Elon has to purchase no matter what. May just not be able to own it (seems unlikely to me that would be prohibited but who knows).
How would that Twitter ownership prohibition be justified? The hook for CFIUS review is foreign investment. So if he can remove objectionable foreign ownership in the equity table, he should be fine. At this point, Musk has control over who contributes equity. He can curate that list as he wishes. Likewise, problems with the equity table will not get him off the hook of buying Twitter.

I don't think CFIUS would stray too far from its mission. After all, Americans are still able to speak their mind and have ownership rights, even if their views are against the prevailing views. Mostly, I think whoever he called a "condition of anonymity coward" and fool on Twitter (Secretary of Defense?) got pissed off and wants to send a message.

Last edited:
How would that Twitter ownership prohibition be justified? The hook for CFIUS review is foreign investment. So if he can remove objectionable foreign ownership in the equity table, he should be fine. At this point, Musk has control over who contributes equity. He can curate that list as he wishes.

I don't think CFIUS would stray too far from its mission. After all, Americans are still able to speak their mind, even if against the prevailing views. Mostly, I think whoever he called a "condition of anonymity coward" and fool on Twitter (Secretary of Defense?) got pissed off and wants to send a message.
It also applies to "Any other transaction, transfer, agreement, or arrangement, the structure of which is designed or intended to evade or circumvent the application of this section, subject to regulations prescribed by the Committee."
That sounds extremely broad to me!
A purchase by a US citizen who is an agent of a foreign government could certainly fall in that category.
I'm really leaning towards this all being a scheme by Elon to get out of the deal. Trying to get himself barred from purchasing seems like a horrible plan given it could jeopardize SpaceX. He's definitely got something up his sleeve though, otherwise why wouldn't he have taken Twitter's offer to sell at ~$50 a share? (I don't buy Steve Bannon's explanation. haha)

I don't agree that Musk wants out of the deal now. He's putting the equity table together like somebody who doesn't want to avoid closing. The tone among those putting together the deal has turned more collegial and practical, according to the WSJ. But it seems possible that he is mostly ambivalent about it and would also be happy to start x.com afresh if Twitter is somehow off limits to him.

Edit: The thought that Musk is a foreign agent is laughable. But even if he is, how could it be proven? I don't think it would be in the powers-that-be's interest to diminish CFIUS by being successfully challenged in court.

Last edited:
🤔
I don't agree that Musk wants out of the deal now. He's putting the equity table together like somebody who doesn't want to avoid closing. The tone among those putting together the deal has turned more collegial and practical, according to the WSJ. But it seems possible that he is mostly ambivalent about it and would also be happy to start x.com afresh if Twitter is somehow off limits to him.
That only makes me more suspicious! This whole time he's been extremely hostile and then all of a sudden he switches? I believe he could have just agreed to be on the hook for all the money and gotten it for $50 a share a few weeks ago.

That only makes me more suspicious! This whole time he's been extremely hostile and then all of a sudden he switches? I believe he could have just agreed to be on the hook for all the money and gotten it for $50 a share a few weeks ago.

Well, what can I say? You're a suspicious person. :p

I don't think we know what all went into the $50 a share negotiations.

Don't think it would be very productive to speculate. It appears that it was in neither party's interest to get into detail publicly.
Twitter has basically said nothing publicly the entire time. Musk on the other hand has been constantly in PR mode and has no qualms about violating the merger agreement (because there is nothing Twitter can do about it). It’s just a bit odd that Musk’s lawyer says Twitter was asking for “all kinds of things” but Musk hasn’t called them out on it.
The fun of this thread is trying to figure out what’s going on and what will happen. :p

• Informative
It also applies to "Any other transaction, transfer, agreement, or arrangement, the structure of which is designed or intended to evade or circumvent the application of this section, subject to regulations prescribed by the Committee."
That sounds extremely broad to me!
A purchase by a US citizen who is an agent of a foreign government could certainly fall in that category.
I'm really leaning towards this all being a scheme by Elon to get out of the deal. Trying to get himself barred from purchasing seems like a horrible plan given it could jeopardize SpaceX. He's definitely got something up his sleeve though, otherwise why wouldn't he have taken Twitter's offer to sell at ~$50 a share? (I don't buy Steve Bannon's explanation. haha)

The plot sickens.

• Funny
Reactions: Bouba
How would that Twitter ownership prohibition be justified? The hook for CFIUS review is foreign investment. So if he can remove objectionable foreign ownership in the equity table, he should be fine. At this point, Musk has control over who contributes equity. He can curate that list as he wishes. Likewise, problems with the equity table will not get him off the hook of buying Twitter.

I don't think CFIUS would stray too far from its mission. After all, Americans are still able to speak their mind and have ownership rights, even if their views are against the prevailing views. Mostly, I think whoever he called a "condition of anonymity coward" and fool on Twitter (Secretary of Defense?) got pissed off and wants to send a message.
No, that’s not what happened. Except in a cheesy movie with Special Operations Black Ops Operatives Gone Rogue. At least until Flynn is made SecDef.

• Funny
No, that’s not what happened. Except in a cheesy movie with Special Operations Black Ops Operatives Gone Rogue. At least until Flynn is made SecDef.
Well, then who else would have been sending this message via the Washington Post, the traditional method of sending messages among those inside the beltway? I don't think this would be a successful approach in reality.

• Informative
Well, then who else would have been sending this message via the Washington Post, the traditional method of sending messages among those inside the beltway? I don't think this would be a successful approach in reality.
The WaPo would be sending its own message. The reporters there call their sources every day. EVERY day. And say hey what are you working on. And the source runs down the list of meetings etc they’re taking and says, well, mainly this, this and this.
MSM loves an Elon story and will print any whiff they get. And it is a legitimate question to at least consider, given given Elon’s behavior. Govt regulators would be committing malpractice if it wasn’t on their “let’s talk about this a bit internally” list.
They are EXTREMELY unlikely to actually act on it, unless Musk’s investor mix is pretty bad.

The stage this is at is “not ready for prime time.” Those govt officials in this case didn't care much about musk one way or the other until recently, but his behavior lately has been at least mildly troubling on the national security front. We are fighting a proxy war in Ukraine after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.