Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Elon Musk tweets, then deletes DMs from Matt Taibbi over his Substack snit

Monday evening, in an entirely separate thread with another Twitter Files writer, Michael Shellenberger, Musk shared his DMs with Taibbi as evidence of information that needed to be corrected in an article by another author. The DMs appear to show Taibbi explaining his relationship with Substack.

Those DMs are now deleted, but we saved them, if you want to look

Ultimately, the DMs aren’t that salacious. But it’s a worrying sign that Musk, the most-followed person on Twitter, is willing to just post what Taibbi likely expected to be private conversations. It’s also a curious wrinkle on Musk’s stated aim to make Twitter DMs encrypted. Encryption isn’t as useful for anyone who DMs him if he might just post a screenshot of the conversation anyway. On the other hand, it would mean that even the owner of Twitter can’t just peek into your private messages to grab material for his next thread.

• Informative
Reactions: Norbert
Apparently not.

Maybe Substack will be the true free speech platform, clearly Elon seems to be afraid of it

They have been natural buddies up until now but both are moving towards competing with the other. Only the paranoid survive so Elon is right to treat them so. Having everything in one place (ie. long form and paying creators to properly replace the Substack experience) will make for a better consumer experience and needing to move between two platforms.

Meanwhile:

• Love
Reactions: Electroman
They have been natural buddies up until now but both are moving towards competing with the other. Only the paranoid survive so Elon is right to treat them so.
Every other website and app is a competitor for clicks, will Elon block off the rest of the internet as well? It's a dumb move made out of fear and desperation.

Presumably you think it is a dumb move because you don't think Substack will be decent social media competition?
I have no idea what Substack will become, what I do know is that trying to block every potential competitor is not a sustainable path and will likely lead to Twitter's demise if it continues. Again, every outside link is competition, will they all be blocked? And how does that fit with "free speech"?

Reactions: GeoX750
I think it's a dumb move because it moves Twitter farther from Elon's stated goal of free speech.
Elon has spent $44Bn and has much of the world's institutions against him. He deserves to defend himself like every other commercial enterprise. Free speech is the goal and losing to competition puts it in doubt.
I have no idea what Substack will become, what I do know is that trying to block every potential competitor is not a sustainable path and will likely lead to Twitter's demise if it continues. Again, every outside link is competition, will they all be blocked? And how does that fit with "free speech"?
I think you know that Elon won't block many others - only those that are unfair or new / serious competition.
Twitter really is not going anywhere - it will be huge. Get on board - you will find peace if you do so.

Elon has spent $44Bn and has much of the world's institutions against him. He deserves to defend himself like every other commercial enterprise. Free speech is the goal and losing to competition puts it in doubt.

I think you know that Elon won't block many others - only those that are unfair or new / serious competition.
Twitter really is not going anywhere - it will be huge. Get on board - you will find peace if you do so.

So he must suppress free speech in order to save it?

Also:
1681228374642.png

Another reason why Elon is courting the right.

Elon has wasted $44Bn and is turning many of the world's institutions against him.

There, fixed it for you.

And "get on board" and finding peace if you do? That sounds like religion. “You must have faith in Elon! You will find peace!"
I tend to find peace in looking clinically at the facts, especially when they’re pretty obvious. And frankly Twitter seems to be struggling.

Also:
View attachment 927159
Another reason why Elon is courting the right.
Not sure I buy that. I think being politically neutral is a way to not alienate the more likely buyers of EVs while still finding good ways to appeal to a segment that doesn't currently see themselves in the market for one.

The reason that registered Republicans have been opposed to EVs is a much more nuanced one than "the CEO aligns with my political views." I suggest heading over to the Fox News website, finding any article about EVs, and reading the comments. There is a pro-oil, anti-AGW, anti-environmentalism stance that has been carefully promulgated into the culture there, and it's a very deep thread (based on reading those comments).

I just don't believe this is some kind of 4-D chess, just like I didn't believe it was with his attempts to get out of the purchase.

Not sure I buy that. I think being politically neutral is a way to not alienate the more likely buyers of EVs while still finding good ways to appeal to a segment that doesn't currently see themselves in the market for one.

The reason that registered Republicans have been opposed to EVs is a much more nuanced one than "the CEO aligns with my political views." I suggest heading over to the Fox News website, finding any article about EVs, and reading the comments. There is a pro-oil, anti-AGW, anti-environmentalism stance that has been carefully promulgated into the culture there, and it's a very deep thread (based on reading those comments).

I just don't believe this is some kind of 4-D chess, just like I didn't believe it was with his attempts to get out of the purchase.
Yep, I never bought this argument either. It's also not symmetrical: it's much easier to not buy something if a company does something you don't like, than to buy something simply because what their CEO says aligns with your political views (especially when that something is probably the most expensive item you will buy other than a home).

Elon is also still pro-green energy and EVs in general are still a "green" technology, which does not match the ideology of the other side at a fundamental level. That side also is still opposed to Tesla taking subsidizes (in the past and present).

Yep, I never bought this argument either. It's also not symmetrical: it's much easier to not buy something if a company does something you don't like, than to buy something simply because what their CEO says aligns with your political views (especially when that something is probably the most expensive item you will buy other than a home).

Elon is also still pro-green energy and EVs in general are still a "green" technology, which does not match the ideology of the other side at a fundamental level. That side also is still opposed to Tesla taking subsidizes (in the past and present).
It is a good rationalization after the fact though.
Much of Elon’s behavior over the years has needed a lot of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.