Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

End of warranty trade in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2019 MS LR.
Hello fine folks, I am sitting around 93k miles and curious on input if I should sell/trade in for a new ‘23 MS just based on my full battery warranty ending upcoming at 100k. The caveat is my current Model S has Free Supercharging for life and I predominantly use SC as my means of charging….any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, CC

This is an easy one for me.

If I had a Raven S(?) with FUSC, I’d see what my SC usage per year was. Use that data against known cost of traction pack as well as failure rate of late model packs. At the end of the day, the fusc car would win. Even with /just/ a used pack from a wrecker. I’d factor it in to the cost of mileage driven, would use shops like electrified garage/057 to keep the upgrades/hardware updates coming for years to come.

Upvote 0
It's also an easy one for me and I would keep it. I would first look into how much a battery replacement would cost from 057tech and from Tesla Service (assuming it's around $25K), then I would consider the delta between the trade-in value and the cost of a new 2023. But if that doesn't matter to you and say you value whatever is new or possibly more reliable, then perhaps you should entertain trading it in. One curiosity of mine would be to study the powertrain failure rates across the production years to see how much progress has been made; unfortunately I think only Tesla would have this information and they're not likely to share.

Upvote 0
Was the warranty the same when he bought the car? Are they still doing the free supercharging on the new ones for a few years?

Will your charging situation change? Do you think the mileage you drive stay about the same? You can easily calculate the value of the charging based on the miles you drive and the cost for the charging. The last car I worried about it was my Y and it worked out to about $0.10/mile for charging at an SC. My Y was worse than my first S for efficiency and about the same as my Plaid on 21's.

Run the numbers and see if it makes sense factoring in what it costs to run it. If I used 10 cents a mile and drove another 100k miles, then that is worth $10k to me. What repairs might I incur in the next 100k miles and see how it really works out. Then see how it looks to trade. Not to mention all the nice upgrades on the new one and a full bumper to bumper warranty.

Upvote 0
I’m almost certain the mileage limit wasn’t added to the S/X battery/drive unit warranty until early 2020. Every 2019 should have an 8 year unlimited mile warranty.

If you want a new car, get a new car, but don’t do it because of the warranty situation. You’re sitting pretty with a free supercharging car and 4 more years of battery and drive unit warranty no matter how many miles you drive.

Last edited:
Upvote 0