Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

End of Year Goals for Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Earlier this year, Tesla updated their supercharger map, with nearly double the supercharger locations predicted in the US by the end of the year. I was impressed and assumed they were rolling out a major initiative to begin construction across the country. Months later, however, I see no substantial activity on supercharger.info (permits or construction). How many of these predicted "city center" type supercharger stations do you actually think we'll see by the end of the year?

Also, another end of year goal for Tesla was the autonomous cross country drive. With HW2 parity with HW1 still seeming elusive, and each EAP update taking longer than promised (silky smooth?) I have to wonder if Tesla may be a couple years too optimistic on this cross country drive.

I love my car but I'm starting to feel like the updates, improvements, and promise fulfillments have been drastically slowing. I'm starting to wrap my head around treating my car more like a traditional car and loving my features as-is, rather than hoping for the future. I am missing HW1 from my first Tesla, however....

Thoughts?

I know most here will disagree, but I believe a successful Model 3 launch is pretty much the be-all, end-all goal for Tesla for 2017. I don't think it matters so much what the total deliveries are for the year, but if the technical problems are few and they actually ramp up to near 5,000 per week (total vehicle deliveries) sometime in December, the industry will be tossed upside down. It will make their announcement of additional gigafactories that much more meaningful.

Sure there are doubts about HW2 improvement, the supercharger buildout, etc, but the biggest doubt of all for me is can Tesla really ramp up to 500,000 deliveries per year during 2018. If that happens, their cost per vehicle will plummet, competitors will panic and I will have so much fun eating my popcorn and enjoying the theater.

We all know Elon should exercise more discretion giving timelines, but if this one actually happens, it makes up for the others.

I know most here will disagree, but I believe a successful Model 3 launch is pretty much the be-all, end-all goal for Tesla for 2017. I don't think it matters so much what the total deliveries are for the year, but if the technical problems are few and they actually ramp up to near 5,000 per week (total vehicle deliveries) sometime in December, the industry will be tossed upside down. It will make their announcement of additional gigafactories that much more meaningful.

Sure there are doubts about HW2 improvement, the supercharger buildout, etc, but the biggest doubt of all for me is can Tesla really ramp up to 500,000 deliveries per year during 2018. If that happens, their cost per vehicle will plummet, competitors will panic and I will have so much fun eating my popcorn and enjoying the theater.

We all know Elon should exercise more discretion giving timelines, but if this one actually happens, it makes up for the others.

I think you are right about that. I do wish I still held my TSLA stock, then I'd be eating popcorn with you :) Or honestly probably selling now.

I wouldn't expect much outdoors construction during the beginning of the year due to weather, and although supercharge.info is really good at listing info that's been discovered by people, it's not an authoritative source of which permits have been submitted/approved.

If major construction doesn't happen in the next 2-3 months, then I'd be worried.

I love my car but I'm starting to feel like the updates, improvements, and promise fulfillments have been drastically slowing. I'm starting to wrap my head around treating my car more like a traditional car and loving my features as-is, rather than hoping for the future.
That's just the thing: it's not like a traditional car where the features remain static. Over the air updates will give you improvements to autopilot and other refinements over time. While the Supercharger build-out may or may not occur as rapidly as planned, it will happen. Tesla is expanding multiple fronts and only has limited resources and capacity, so some of their goals may take more time to accomplish than they (or we) had wished. There's no reason to stop hoping for the future. It's not as if you had purchased a Mirai based on the hope that the build-out of hydrogen fueling stations will follow suit. :)