Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Engineering Explained: How To Ruin Your Electric Car's Battery - 3 Common Mistakes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I watched this video.

My take aways:

1. Avoid storing an EV at high temperatures and high state of charge. If you have to store an EV at high temperatures, keep the battery at 30%. High temperatures degrade a battery more quickly. I don't recall what he meant by high temperatures. I assume it means the ambient temperature is 90 degrees Fahrenheit or higher.

2. Don't wait to recharge. Plug in after every trip. Keep your depth of discharge range as short as possible. In my case, since I am a low mileage driver, I plug in every night and limit my charging to 50%. My depth of discharge range is 40 - 50%.

3. Don't charge to 100% routinely. Only charge to a maximum of 75% if you can.

Highly recommended.

Reactions: Mercimek
I watched this video.

My take aways:

1. Avoid storing an EV at high temperatures and high state of charge. If you have to store an EV at high temperatures, keep the battery at 30%. High temperatures degrade a battery more quickly. I don't recall what he meant by high temperatures. I assume it means the ambient temperature is 90 degrees Fahrenheit or higher.

2. Don't wait to recharge. Plug in after every trip. Keep your depth of discharge range as short as possible. In my case, since I am a low mileage driver, I plug in every night and limit my charging to 50%. My depth of discharge range is 40 - 50%.

3. Don't charge to 100% routinely. Only charge to a maximum of 75% if you can.

Highly recommended.
Unless you have an LFP battery in which case Tesla says charge to 100% once a week so the BMS can accurately calibrate.