Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LFP battery - how often is too often to charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Solar using Charge HQ keeps my SOC at 50 to 80% mid-week. By Sunday night I'm back to 100%. So I comply with Tesla's once a week charge to 100%.

Keep SOC above 50% when parked as that is the minimum charge setpoint. Once a week charge to 100%. I don't think you need to over think it.

For LFP I think:
1) Do a BMS calibration and record the predicted range at 100% SoC
This varies slightly with temperature so don't worry if it doesn't always get the same number at 100% SOC.

2) Charge between 40-80% (or whatever your favourite min max Soc is) but try to keep the minimum SoC before charge, and max SoC after charge, the same (to compare apples and apples)
3) Record the predicted range before and after each charge
3) Note any drift in the predicted range over time at those SoC.

The predicted range and SOC are essentially the same thing presented in different formats. Rated range is the BMSs calculated available (after buffer subtraction) amount of energy in the battery divided by rated wh/km. So you are not going to find anything useful doing this, if it thinks you have 60% SOC it's going to give the same rated range every time.
4) If there is significant drift between 40% and 80% over time then charge to 100% and record the range when at 100%

If there is significant drift at 100% then do the BMS calibration.

How do you charge to 100% without it automatically doing the BMS calibration? It gets to 99% then switches to calibrating, and depending mostly on how long since you last let it calibrate it says calibrating for 5-30mins then stops charging at 100%.

Reactions: Quickst
I have a 2023 M3. 8 months now about 4300miles. 1.6% degradation. I think this is mostly from calendar aging.

I use 8% Mon- Fri. About 5% on sat. 1-3% on sunday.

I have been only plugging in and charge once every week aprox…. When i plug in, i charge to 100%. By sunday i usually have about 50% left. Sometimes ill keep driving it till following Wednesday before charging so… i plug in/charge once every 7-10 days.

I am thinking of switching it up and charging it to 100% every OTHER week instead. So after week1 from 100% down to about 30%. Ill charge to 70%. Use it for another week Then when it get down to 30% again, ill charge it to 100%. So my average SOC is very low.

Any thoughts? Or should i just keep what i am doing - plug in/ charge once a week (7-10days)

I see that everybody is confused about how to change LFP batteries.
I use home assistant for my home automation and I created one automation for my M3.
Once a week (on Friday) I set the limit to 100%.
When I unplug the car and the battery level is > 99%, I switch it back to 85%.

With this automation daily charging is 85%, and once a week 100%.
I think I will stay with this for a while, and if I find some more scientific explanation that I should do differently, I change it.

I drive about 100 miles a day.

1698284361402.png

Reactions: OzVic
I see that everybody is confused about how to change LFP batteries
Not sure where you got this from or how you arrived at this conclusion.

ile, and if I find some more scientific explanation that I should do differently, I change it.
I'm not sure that your method is any more or less scientific than other people's charging regime so long as they follow manufacturer recommendations

Reactions: johnchidgey
Not sure where you got this from or how you arrived at this conclusion.

I'm not sure that your method is any more or less scientific than other people's charging regime so long as they follow manufacturer recommendations

I've read several articles about LFP batteries (in different content than Tesla cars), and all of them stand that for any other lithium battery, LFP doesn't like to be charged to 100%. But because of the lower/flat voltage, etc. it doesn't charm them as much as NCA or NCM. And I'm not talking about articles from automotive "experts" or influencers (they probably know as much about this as I do), but from battery industry insiders.

On the other hand, many people say that Tesla recommends charging them to 100% every time.
But Tesla didn't say that clearly either. They said to set a limit to 100% and charge 100% at least once a week (because of BMS).

But there is no clear statement on how to charge them and why (like they provided for NCA or NCM batteries).

So these are my thoughts.

Reactions: RichardV
They said to set a limit to 100% and charge 100% at least once a week (because of BMS).
But it's a long bow to say that everyone has got it wrong. There are lots of commentary here that says charging to 100% is for BMS purposes.

And the other point that yours is scientific is also a long bow. The only way that any of us can be scientific is to generate a hypothesis then test it. Do you have any actual evidence to say that your method of charging is better?. Did you test your method against another method to see which is better. Otherwise your method of charging is neither more or less scientific than any one else. Reading articles is one thing but the only way to be scientific is to test your method.

Reactions: johnchidgey
I find the recommendation to charge my RWD to 100% at least once a week a bit of a problem as I frequently don't need a charge for a few weeks at a time...

It feels a bit silly charging from ~80% to 100% due to some arbitrary requirement in the owner's manual so I don't! ;)

Reactions: dronus
everyone has got it wrong
My issue is still with the word "everyone" and that you want a "more scientific explanation". In this case confused is synonymous with wrong. But happy to use "confused".

I don't know how you arrived at "everyone" and how your method is any more scientific than anyone else.

Your post suggests that you are the only one who is not "confused". And also your quoting of articles does not make your method any more scientific or authoritative than anyone else.

Nothing wrong with sharing articles about battery charging and similar, but unless we are battery scientists like a Jeff Dahn , I don't think we can say everyone else but me is confused . Nor can we say that our individual method is better than anyone else's without actual experimental data on our battery method. Again quoting an article is not a sign of authority, rather it only gives some insight into the subject matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: dronus
My issue is still with the word "everyone" and that you want a "more scientific explanation". In this case confused is synonymous with wrong. But happy to use "confused".

I don't know how you arrived at "everyone" and how your method is any more scientific than anyone else.

Your post suggests that you are the only one who is not "confused". And also your quoting of articles does not make your method any more scientific or authoritative than anyone else.

Nothing wrong with sharing articles about battery charging and similar, but unless we are battery scientists like a Jeff Dahn , I don't think we can say everyone else but me is confused . Nor can we say that our individual method is better than anyone else's without actual experimental data on our battery method. Again quoting an article is not a sign of authority, rather it only gives some insight into the subject matter.
I think you have taken @arcos quote way out of context. The words before it certainly suggest such.

Reactions: arcos

I think you pay too much attention to semantics in my posts. English is not my first language, so that may also be a reason. Saying "everyone" was more a figure of speech than thinking about 8 billion people in the world :) Mainly I was thinking about myself - that I'm confused (and reading other posts I was impressed that I'm not the only one).

Now when I see your point of view (how you read my post), I agree that I should start with "I see that everybody is confused about how to change LFP batteries, as I am.", because that was my intention to share...

I'm sorry if anyone was offended by my post and thought I wrote it to instruct group members (who certainly have much more experience with Tela than I do).

I think we can close this discussion because it doesn't add anything of value to the main topic.

Reactions: Astro66 and Jules22