Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enough with the Games, already.

How do you rate the importance of more games and entertainment features in your Tesla's OS?

• Ugh. Enough with the stupid games.

Votes: 130 42.8%
  • Games are OK.

Votes: 78 25.7%
  • I love the games, and the OP is an old fogey.

Votes: 96 31.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not really
They have to have security processes in place anyway to integrate things like Spotify slacker etc so they can piggyback off of that as well and you’re right nothing is ever free but you’re speculating wildly on cost with nothing to back it up. It’s far more likely that this was a mutually beneficial arrangement where Vector Unit got some publicity to spike iOS and Android installs of the game where they make their bread and butter with micro transactions. And I don’t get where you think all the support and systems is needed the model 3 runs Linux and the apis are pretty well trodden at this point the extent of support would be opening internal driver api docs which would also come with standard NDA agreements. MAYBE Tesla is on the hook for some final qa but that would hardly be a resource that’s even 100% committed as it is on the software side given the issues everyone here is winging about

I genuinely hope they are able to provide access to APIs to 3rd Parties with proper security without much overhead. I can think of lot things 3rd Parties could do, like HUD device that shows lot of Data from main screen behind steering which can communicate via Wifi-Direct, or via OBD(however unusual it may be).

Potentially physical controls who would like to have, like example climate control, mirror controls, source/mode controls, drive modes etc.

Tesla could potentially benefit licensing these accessories (Like Apple does).

This model is proven out Apple and Google are constantly adding new features to their hardware platforms and OSs (iOS and Android respectively) . All while allowing millions of apps and games to be installed on those phones. All while internally developing 10s to 100s of in development features you don’t hear about. That’s the only difference here is Elon’s announced upcoming features. But again that has nothing to do with games apps or Easter eggs there’s no bottleneck there

As pointed out already the racing game was explicitly developed by a third party.

Fallout shelter is happily being ported by its original developer too.

All the atari games were developed decades ago. The emulator to run them on Linux was developed in the 1990s.

Tesla didn't have to do anything technically there besides add a menu button to launch it.

• Love
Reactions: Atari2600 and CMoZ
If all your neighbor could see is the game software, which is stored away in a separate tray most people don’t even notice, when he saw and rode in (drove?) your car, well his loss. To have him make a decision based on that is quite honestly not believable from my end.
I get your comment. His decision not to be interested wasn't based on the fact that in HIS opinion, Tesla's focus on car development by including things like this is not in line with his thinking. To me, I don't care, but I get it that some folks thinks it is the wrong focus.

Reactions: TMarque
LOL...

Wouldn't it be great though if Tesla could build a single car that each person in this thread liked?

I wonder who in this thread could do such a thing. hmmm?

Maybe Tesla could make that a $100,000,000 challenge. Someone - make a car that EVERYONE likes with only the options that EVERYONE wants. hmmmm?

100 million dollars are on the table …"Ready"..."Set"..."Go"....

( BTW....I wouldn't have chosen a better post for my 10K)

Congrats on the 10k, it took me a second to figure out what you were talking about or laughing at, but I don’t think it was personally at me, and I know you wouldn’t care if I did, lol... I love the car, and it’s as close to a car that has everything I want than anything else I’ve ever driven, there’s not many things I don’t like about it, and it’s still improving!

Sorry to resurrect the thread but I was looking at my notifications and had to reply...

As pointed out already the racing game was explicitly developed by a third party.

Fallout shelter is happily being ported by its original developer too.

All the atari games were developed decades ago. The emulator to run them on Linux was developed in the 1990s.

Tesla didn't have to do anything technically there besides add a menu button to launch it.

Actual cost is between "not much" and "more than we/tesla would anticipate".

Tesla scale is pretty big but even one headcount, all in is over $100K annually at Tesla.

If it meant that Tesla could do more things like this at higher quality, I'd pay for DLC. $10 Atari games package, etc. $29.99 Mario Kart I can battle other drivers at.. take my money. :D