Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EO Basic - Changing cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

I've had to change where my X is parked and now my tethered cable doesn't reach! I've ordered one of the EVChargeKing type 2 cables. Had a look at opening the unit to change the cable when it arrives but can't get 2 of the screws open. The top and bottom are Torx but the middle ones are something else. Anyone done this? 20200404_161134.jpg 20200404_161110.jpg

Good thoughts, same as mine! It's not a security Torx, that was what was holding the unit to the wall so bought the set and presumed it would fit but no. Could be spline but can't find any security spline bits.
The more I look at the pic I'm wondering if it's a security nut, not a screw/bolt??

Could use a high quality external junction box. It would be quite easy to find the pin out using a simple diagram and a multimeter (before cutting the cable). Even if the colour codes match i would still use a meter, just in case.

Hi all

I've had to change where my X is parked and now my tethered cable doesn't reach! I've ordered one of the EVChargeKing type 2 cables. Had a look at opening the unit to change the cable when it arrives but can't get 2 of the screws open. The top and bottom are Torx but the middle ones are something else. Anyone done this?View attachment 529221 View attachment 529223
Hi, just wondering how this went for you? I have a damaged Tesla cable on my charger and want to replace. Can't find a genuine Tesla one but did come across the one you mentioned. Did it work? Did you manage to change it ok?

Even if you get it open is changing the cable even going to be possible?
They would normally be attached by screw connections not unlike attaching a cable to a 13amp plug. I swapped out a faulty Zappi main unit and had to transfer over the original cable to the replacement. In fact it was easier than a plug because the connections were bigger and easier to get at.