Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog EPA Gives Range Rating for Model S Long Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla continues to erode range anxiety from consumers considering electric vehicles. The company’s 2021 Tesla Model S Long Range Plus has received a rating of 405 miles of range from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

The vehicle also earned a combined city/highway MPGe of 120.

Screen-Shot-2021-06-15-at-4.37.46-PM.png

The figures are are an improvement over the 2020 Tesla Model S Long Range Plus, which had an EPA rating of 402 miles of range and 117 MPGe, as well as the 2020 Tesla Model S Long Range that was rated at 373 miles of range and 111 MPGe.

Tesla lists its performance “Plaid” version of the Model S at an estimated 390 miles of range, however, it has yet to receive an official rating from the EPA.

In the past, Tesla has unlocked additional range in vehicles via software updates. It will be interesting to see if the company will continue to improve those already impressive range figures over time.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: David29
Yeah, probably about 300 miles on the freeway (at 320Wh/mi which is great for this type of vehicle) is what should be expected, which seems fine given the Supercharging rate.
If I can go 300 miles comfortably in summer and 250 in winter, that is pretty good IMO. Of course range is king, and more range is always welcome, and it comes in handy when you need to drive 50 miles away from the highways. But I will take 300 driving at 75 with AC on. That is more than 4 hours of driving, enough to take a good break.

If I can go 300 miles comfortably in summer and 250 in winter, that is pretty good IMO. Of course range is king, and more range is always welcome, and it comes in handy when you need to drive 50 miles away from the highways. But I will take 300 driving at 75 with AC on. That is more than 4 hours of driving, enough to take a good break.
300 is for a 100% to 0% discharge or so. So realistically it will be less. 320Wh/mi is of course best case. Probably doable though.

320Wh/mi is of course best case.
I don't think so. Last summer in 8,200 miles of cross country driving at average speed of 75mph we averaged 308 Wh/mi. I presume the new Model S has some efficiency improvements over our 2019 Raven, so I'd be surprised if it doesn't get under 300 Wh/mi in long distance interstate driving.

For those same 8,200 miles, actual miles driven were 80% of rated miles of charge consumed. So I'll guess 320 miles for a 100% to 0% discharge on new Model S.

I don't think so. Last summer in 8,200 miles of cross country driving at average speed of 75mph we averaged 308 Wh/mi. I presume the new Model S has some efficiency improvements over our 2019 Raven, so I'd be surprised if it doesn't get under 300 Wh/mi in long distance interstate driving.

For those same 8,200 miles, actual miles driven were 80% of rated miles of charge consumed. So I'll guess 320 miles for a 100% to 0% discharge on new Model S.

That is a good datapoint. I have to admit I don’t know exactly for Model S where things end up - I have a Model 3 and I expect about 300Wh/mi with non-optimized tires and wheels. Anyway, 308Wh/mi indicated will give you about 310 miles for a full discharge not including the buffer - and a little more if it does end up being a 103kWh full pack rather than 100kWh. So yeah, 320 miles for a complete discharge without the buffer seems possible.

Last edited: