Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Etiquette for stranded fellow Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Their business model looks horrible! It doesn't look like they sell it to individuals, only companies who do roadside emergency stuff. "Order a charge from Alexa while you're grocery shopping"??? And then a guy in a van shows up to plug in a portable battery to your car??? That sounds like the stupidest thing I've heard this year.

Just get a Goal Zero 3000 Lithium. Half the size and will add 6 or more miles of range before it dies.

Any proof this can charge a Model S?

Is it possible to physically push the Tesla? I guess without power you can't get it into Neutral, and can you steer and brake without power? If so, I would be happy to help push the car to the charger, to help out a stranded motorist.

Are you offering to push a three ton car by hand for a quarter of a mile?

I’ll help too.

I’ll steer.

Last edited:
Any proof this can charge a Model S?
I know it's not proof, but there is a picture on the site showing a Model S being charged via a CHAdeMO adapter.

SparkCharge-32.jpg

Reactions: willow_hiller
I’m not sure why the fellow in the original post ran out of juice 1/4 mile from the supercharger. If there’s even a ghost of a chance I’m going to run low on charge, I slow down. Most of the power is used to push air out of the way at highway speeds, so at 55 MPH, my Tesla will go a whole lot further than it will at 70 MPH. That was an X, it’s not nearly as aerodynamic so the relative power savings by slowing down would be greater. Going somewhere at 55 or even slower is still more efficient than going fast then stopping for several hours trying to come up with a mobile charging solution or awaiting a flatbed. If he had his charging cord with him, he could have stopped anywhere with an electrical outlet. I’ll bet paying someone $20-$50 would let a Tesla owner plug in for a couple of hours pretty much anywhere.

So he’s off the side of the road. His car told him to slow down to make it. Either he didn’t or he tried to go very much further than he should have. Maybe it wasn’t his fault. Maybe he skipped a supercharger stop. Some superchargers are hard to find. Maybe he got tired of looking, figured he’d wing it.

Or maybe he’s not out of charge at all. Maybe his X did one of those awful sudden fatal shutdown events we see posted here occasionally.

Yup, lots of questions. “Flatbed”, the universal answer.

For both BMW and Tesla "M3" there is a front tow eye you can use to tow in reverse, and you can add the rear tow hitch to tow going forward. Neither are outfitted to tow in the back without the added tow hitch but both have a screw in tow eye for the front. Most cars will be the same; sedans rarely come with a rear tow hitch stock but almost all have them available. A front tow hook adapter is on nearly every car.
I know I could look it up, but I am probably not going to get one, but just in case I may want to install a hitch basket to increase luggage capacity for the Model 3 for 2 couples taking a long trip, For anyone who has added a towing hitch for a M3, 1. How much did it cost and 2. Did it negative,y impact driving or any sensors on the car?

It won't impact the sensors (when not towing) because Tesla offers a factory option to add a Model 3 tow hitch in back. I don't know if it's available in the US yet, call service and ask. It should disable autopilot when towing since the rear camera is obscured.