Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Europe] DAB/DAB+ support for Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

widodh

Model S 100D and Y LR
Jan 23, 2011
Venlo, NL
Hi,

It has been discussed in this thread a bit: EU finalize and deliveries - Page 29

In Europe we are going to turn of FM in a couple of years, but we already have DAB. For example the UK has a lot of DAB stations, but other countries (like the Netherlands) are rolling out DAB+ this summer.

Starting September 1st the commercial radio stations will start broadcasting with DAB+: Dutch source: Commercile Nederlandse radiostations gaan vanaf 1 september digitaal - Beeld en geluid - Nieuws - Tweakers

Wikipedia: Digital Audio Broadcasting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is there anything "official" from Tesla stating that Model S will support DAB+? Since FM quality is kind of crappy compared with todays digital audio.

It would be very cool to have DAB+ in my Model S when I take delivery in September!

Last edited:
Hi,
Is there anything "official" from Tesla stating that Model S will support DAB+? Since FM quality is kind of crappy compared with todays digital audio.

DAB support is official (in the upgraded Sound package only!) and if DAB+ isn't ready at launch it should only be a software upgrade away as the receiver hardware is identical. The difference is only in the decoding (MP2 in DAB, AACv2 in DAB+).

DAB support is official (in the upgraded Sound package only!) and if DAB+ isn't ready at launch it should only be a software upgrade away as the receiver hardware is identical. The difference is only in the decoding (MP2 in DAB, AACv2 in DAB+).
Ah, I see. I ordered the Sound Studio btw.

The dutch page says so: Model S Opties en Prijzen | Tesla Motors

DAB digitale radio

DAB+ would be really nice, but if it's just software we're fine.

Well that it is just a sw upgrade is not compleatly true, as the radio chip will deliver it decoded.
But all the manufactores of radios with ETSI DAB support all support DAB+
One of the most comon DAB+ chip also support FM, HD-Radio, DAB, DAB+ making is a universal chip
Where the chip that tesla use in the US version only support the US popertary DAB format (HD-Radio)

The information that I have received from Tesla have been very limited
they say the car's there is on display in EU Have a US radio, and they are Working on the EU version that will support DAB, but they don't know where DAB will be part of the default radio or if it will support DAB+

Last edited:
Well that it is just a sw upgrade is not compleatly true, as the radio chip will deliver it decoded.
But all the manufactores of radios with ETSI DAB support all support DAB+
One of the most comon DAB+ chip also support FM, HD-Radio, DAB, DAB+ making is a universal chip
Where the chip that tesla use in the US version only support the US popertary DAB format (HD-Radio)

The information that I have received from Tesla have been very limited
they say the car's there is on display in EU Have a US radio, and they are Working on the EU version that will support DAB, but they don't know where DAB will be part of the default radio or if it will support DAB+
Check Teslas webpage. The sound studio pack upgrade contains DAB.

Yes i know the webpage say DAB for the Sound Studie Package
But when I ask Tesla I get conflicting answeres

and when you compare the US version to the EU, we have to pay extra for Terrestrial Digital, where it come as default in the US
The US get an extra satellite radio chip as part of the SSP, but uses the same Terrestrial radio as the US default
And when you look at the fact that in most of EU, AM & FM will stop in 2017, leaving the car with out a Working radio
As Internet radio only Working if you pay for the Conetivity package