Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Charging at Condos in California?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do condo's typically have EV charging stations in California? Is it difficult to request chargers for the HOA?

I'm having difficulty deciding between a Model 3 Standard Range or the Long Range. If I get the Long Range, I can probably get a cheaper condo that doesn't have EV chargers.

Solution
Something like this is not unusual:

I live in a condo too, and there is zero outlets in the parking garage, even regular 120V ones. Adding a personal 120V or 240V outlet/charger is going to be a huge uphill battle with the HOA so I don't even bother try. Even if it's allowed, the costs are astronomical and gets into a gray zone on how energy should be metered/billed.

The other thing to consider living in a shared space is security, e.g. using Sentry...
Something like this is not unusual:

I live in a condo too, and there is zero outlets in the parking garage, even regular 120V ones. Adding a personal 120V or 240V outlet/charger is going to be a huge uphill battle with the HOA so I don't even bother try. Even if it's allowed, the costs are astronomical and gets into a gray zone on how energy should be metered/billed.

The other thing to consider living in a shared space is security, e.g. using Sentry Mode. I keep mine turned on at all times at home, which drains about 7% of battery per day on my LR car, so probably 11-12% on a SR battery. On my LR car, I have to charge roughly once a week just to run Sentry Mode, and since Sentry Mode shuts off at 20%. Supercharging from 20%-90% costs roughly $11 at the supercharger off-peak per week. For this reason, I'd recommend the LR battery unless you're willing to visit a supercharger twice a week or more (if you drive a lot).

Upvote 0
Solution