Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV efficiency can be measured in units of force, weirdly enough

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(These is very much a shower thought kind of post, not a serious discussion.)

Has anyone noticed how EV efficiency is dimensionally the same as force? In North America at least typically consumption is measured in watt*hours/mile.

That's power*time/distance, or energy/distance. Energy is force*distance (1 Joule is defined as 1 Newton * 1 Meter), so we can substitute this in and get:

force*distance/distance

Cancel the distances and you're left with just force! My Model 3's consumption today was about 700N :D

(These is very much a shower thought kind of post, not a serious discussion.)

Has anyone noticed how EV efficiency is dimensionally the same as force? In North America at least typically consumption is measured in watt*hours/mile.

That's power*time/distance, or energy/distance. Energy is force*distance (1 Joule is defined as 1 Newton * 1 Meter), so we can substitute this in and get:

force*distance/distance

Cancel the distances and you're left with just force! My Model 3's consumption today was about 700N
I like your observation, but efficiency isn't consumption. My interpretation would be it's the average force the drive train exerted on the car to move it. A more efficient car would require less force.

Reactions: Nujec