Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Tax Credit to be dropped by Trump administration, good for Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was actually out the earlier versions of the tax bill passed last year then put in later in the game. Haven't seen anything else on it since, but I presume it's not in the proposed budget the administration just released. That document is largely meaningless since any budget has to pass the House. My guess the credit will stay around as-is, unless it's used as a bargaining chip. But ultimately I don't think it's big enough a bargaining chip to be worth the trouble.

Reactions: StellarRat
I read today that Trump wants to end the EV credit. Seems like this could be a competitive advantage to Telsa as all the late comers (Porsche, Volvo, VW, etc...) won't get the price advantage they would have had. Thoughts?

As a nit, he wants to end the credit his proposed budget. He can also suggest other things but none of this has to be included in the final budget. Congress has the final say in what is included in the budget.

Without taking a side, IMHO this will actually call attention to the credit and various political themes around it.

The bill won't pass as it stands but even if it did, I don't think it would dramatically decrease EV adoption. Certainly won't significantly hurt Tesla. It will force the legacy manufacturers to double down on their efficiencies and prices however...at least if they want to compete.

Dan

EV tax credit does nothing for the consumer but enable the manufacturer to bloat their MSRPs.

As a consequence, you get higher insurance rates, steeper immediate drive off depreciation, and some government twat gets a kickback for using the green argument for a nice fat pork barrel.

The Trump administration ruled that Tesla will not be exempt from paying 25 percent tariffs on various parts imported from China that make up the interior of Tesla's vehicles.

The company previously argued in letters to the Trump administration that tariffs on Chinese technological imports cause “economic harm to Tesla, through the increase of costs and impact to profitability.”

US denies Tesla's Chinese tariff relief request

Someone commented: "Tesla received a decade's worth of tax breaks, government funding and government rebates. Then he took his factory to Shanghai. Now he wants the tariffs dropped for him. Amusing arrogance".

Last edited:
I feel that the EV incentive has run its course. The platform is competitive and viable against ICE cars straight up. I would like to see a greater push for solar and home battery systems though. Cleaning up the grid and keeping electricity prices down will do plenty for EV adoption.