Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Tuning Door switch broke in under a year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PXL_20210508_182644101.jpg
My handle presents but is not opening the door. I disassembled to replace this wire again. Did I mess up the wire routing? I'm surprised since this upgrade is supposed to last longer than the factory wires.

Installed the wiring harness and door paddle in May 2020. I actually only needed to replace the paddle at that time. I replaced the factory switch preemptively. I had tape over where the wire was rubbing and eventually broke.

I have a replacement. I'm just looking for advice on what I should do differently.

As an aside, this door's pressure sensor to present was also not working. It worked before I replaced the factory switch and hasn't worked since.

Havnt installed it and dont know anything about it but it those wires seem like they are not in the right place. Unless they are indeed supposed to stay dangling right there.

You can just solder that cut wire back together. I also would wrap electrical tape around the entire two wires so they dont get cut up again and stay together

For what I see is that this sensor wire should not cross that unit. It has always been guided by the side. Will post some random photos where it is not crossing. And that pressure switch (right lower of the front handle sensor, pointed by red arrow) might have lost it’s correct placement during your repair last time or it is broken as well.
DE48CFFB-C992-4CFE-88C0-5B509BB22868.jpeg
EB6178B4-3737-48F9-8F57-DFF82E0ABF39.jpeg

For what I see is that this sensor wire should not cross that unit. It has always been guided by the side. Will post some random photos where it is not crossing. And that pressure switch (right lower of the front handle sensor, pointed by red arrow) might have lost it’s correct placement during your repair last time or it is broken as well.
View attachment 660733View attachment 660734
I have installed both the EV Tuning and OEM switches/wiring. One of the EV Tuning’s switches is meant to be installed upside-down relative to the OEM switch and the attached cable looped up and then down over the handle mechanism. So, it looks like the OP’s installation is correct, but the cable didn't seem to have the slag (loops up and down) shown in the EV Tuning instruction. Also, not clear if taping the wires contributed to the problem. I have had the EV Tuning wires installed just over a year ago and have not had problems. I didn't like the wire routing of the EV Tuning wires, so I used the Tesla wires in all my subsequent repairs ( which was significantly more expensive than the EV Tuning kit). But before installing the Tesla wires, I put a dab of liquid electrical tape at the junction between the wires and the switch to transfer the pivot/ movement point down the wire, which I hope would avoid them breaking at the usual places.

I've installed 2 of the EV tuning door handle repair kits and no issues so far the first was like 2 years ag o and the second was a few months ago 2 different handles not the same one twice.

If you look at the video when he is mostly done with the install of the kit you can see the amount of slack in the wires, make note of where the "Y" portion of the split in the wires is in comparison to the OP picture. The OP didn't leave the proper amount of slack in the line and that caused extra wear resulting in the wire to break.
So suffice to say but sucks to suck bro looks like operator error.

Screenshot_20210510-093129242_2.jpg